Chapter 9

A/n: Hello everybody! Today is October 16, 2020. How is online school going for people, if you have it? I really love my math teacher; he's great. But my other teachers are just... I don't even know how to explain it. They explain the things we don't need help on, but they don't help us with the things that we do need help on. How are y'all holding up? I love you with all my person, truly. Enjoy!

Y/n sits on the counter of Scoops Ahoy with Robin, listening to the tape intently. Y/n drums her fingers on Robin's thigh, trying to focus and catch words. She faintly picks up Erica and her troop of friends banging the bell.

"Excuse me. Ahoy!"

Robin sighs and takes off the headseat, glaring at the girls.

"I'd like to try the peanut butter chocolate swirl, please," she says smugly.

"No. No more samples today," Robin says, crossing her arms.

"Why not?"

"Because you're abusing our company policy."

"Where's the sailor man?" Erica asks, peering past Y/n and Robin.

"Sorry, he can't help you. He's busy," Y/n says, standing beside Robin. 

"Busy with what?"

"Spycraft."

\--/

Steve scans the mall with his binoculars. "Oh, you've gotta be kidding me."

"What?" Dustin asks.

"Anna Jacobi's talking with that meathead Mark Lewinsky."

Dustin groans. "If you're not gonna focus, just gimme the binoculars." He yanks them off of Steve's neck. 

"Aw, Jesus Christ, whatever happened to standards? I mean, Lewinsky never even came off the bench."

Dustin looks at him with stupidity. "Dude, you are the worst spy in history, you know that? I don't get why you're looking at girls. You have the perfect one in front of you."

Seriously, if you say Y/n again-" Steve groans. 

"Y/n."

"No, don't. No," he protests. 

"Y/n, Y/n, Y/n."

"Stop, no, no, no."

"Y/n. Y/n. Y/n."

"No."

"Y/n."

"No! No, man, she's not my type. She's not even... in the ballpark of what my type is, all right?" Steve says.

"What's your type again? Not awesome?" Dustin pokes. 

"Thank you," Steve says sarcastically. 

"For your information, she's still in school. You know that. And she's weird. She's a weirdo. And she's hyper. I don't like that she's hyper. And she did drama. That's a bad look," Steve sighs. i kept the hyper and drama part because im super hyper and energetic and i also do drama... so-

"Now that you're out of high school, which means you're technically an adult, don't you think it's time you move on from primitive constructs such as popularity?" Dustin asks.

"Oh, primitive constructs? That some stupid shit you learned at Camp... Know... Nothing?"

"Camp Know Where, actually," Dustin says proudly. "And no, it's stuff I learned from life. Instead of dating somebody you think's gonna make you cooler, why not date somebody you actually enjoy being around? Like me and Suzie."

"Oh, Suzie," Steve groans. "Yeah, you mean, 'hotter than Phoebe Cates.'"

"Yeah, that Suzie."

"And, uh, let's think about how exactly did you score that beautiful girlfriend?" He pretends to think. "Oh, yeah. With my advice. Because that's how this works, Henderson. I give you the advice, you follow through. Not the other way around, all right, pea-brain?" Steve ends the conversation.

\--/

Y/n rests her head in Robin's lap, who is sitting on top of the table in the back. She reads off of the notepad. "'The week is long. The silver cat feeds when blue meets yellow in the west. A trip to China sounds nice if you tread lightly.'"

"'Tread lightly'"? Y/n asks. A knock on the door causes Robin to get up and grab a package from a delivery man. 

"Delivery for you," he says.

"Thank you," she says, staring at his hat, which reads "Lynx."

"Have a nice day."

"Yeah, you too." She runs out after him. The back of his uniform has a silver cat logo on it. "Silver cat. Silver cat!" She yells at Y/n.

Steve and Dustin rush in. "What?"

"'The week is long. The silver cat feeds when blue meets yellow in the west. A trip to China sounds nice if you tread lightly!" She quotes, rushing past them into the center of the mall. She climbs up on the fountain and looks around, mumbling to herself.

The group follows her. "Robin, what are you doing?" Steve asks.

"We cracked the code!"

\--/

Soon, the 4 of them find themselves huddled on the top of a roof in the pouring rain, spying on Russians with guns. 

"They're with that whistling guy, ten o'clock," Dustin points out.

"What do you think's in there? Guns, bombs?" Y/n asks. "Chemical weapons?" She grimaces.

"Whatever it is, they're armed to the teeth," Robin says.

"Great. That's great," Steve groans.

"Hey, what's in there?"

"It's just more boxes," Dustin says.

"Let me check it out," Steve says, trying to grab the binoculars.

"No, I'm still looking."

"Lemme see it."

"Hang on!"

After their grappling, the binoculars drop to the ground with a sickeningly loud thwack.

The Russian's heads snap to look at them. "Duck!" Everyone flattens against the wall. Y/n clutches Steve's hand.

The order each other around in Russian and one of them begins to come up to the roof. They quickly duck out of there and back into the mall.

"Well, I think we found your Russians."

They get back in the parlor and find Eleven and Max anxiously waiting for them in bright yellow and red rain coats.

Y/n steps forward. "Girls? What's wrong?"

"It's Billy," El says.