Chapter 11

A/n: Hello everybody! Today is October 18, 2020. Jeez, I can't believe I'm alive. We've dealt with 10 months of this 2020's crap! It all started on New Year's Eve in Wuhan, when the first COVID case was found. From there, Australia caught on fire, World War 3 almost started, and it's only gotten worse. I think I'm numb to it now, cause I'm just vibing in my room. Ok, anyways! Enjoy!

Warning: Throwing up

Y/n swings her legs over the bed and walks to her bathroom. Stepping in the shower, she watches water droplets drip down her body numbly. 

She didn't sleep at all last night. Not only was Billy cheating on her, he and Heather attacked and drugged her parent's. "I-I don't know," she says to herself. "I'm in shock."

Wrapping a towel around herself, Y/n looks in the mirror. Memories flash through her mind. Suddenly, an urge to throw up overwhelms her, and she rushes to the toilet. 

Throwning her head in the bowl, she heaves up what little was in her stomach. Wiping her mouth, she brushes her teeth and cleans up the toilet. "That's not normal," she says.

Getting dressed, she heads out of her room. Y/n goes to make herself some coffee, but the urge to throw up again makes her turn away from the machine. "Water it is."

On the fridge, there are two notes. One from her mother and one from Will.

"At Hopper's. Don't know when I will be home. There's some money on the table for dinner, or Y/n can make something with what's in the fridge. Love you! -Mom"

"At Mike's don't freak out -Will"

"Thanks guys," she mutters. "Jonathan's probably with Nancy or something." She heaves again and rushes back to the bathroom, proceeding to vomit once more. "I'm just going to stay home."

The phone rings. Y/n groans and stumbles to it. "Byers' residence. This is Y/n."

"Y/n," El's voice speaks out.

"Eleven? What's wrong, I'm sick."

"We need you at Mike's house. Now."

"Why-"

"Now, Y/n." Her tone is dead serious.

"Ok, I'm on my way."

\--/

Y/n pulls to a stop outside of the Wheeler's house. Heading to the front door, she knocks. Mrs. Wheeler opens it.

"Oh, Y/n! To what do I owe this pleasure?"

"I- I actually don't know. The kids called me and asked me to come over," Y/n laughs, trying to sound normal. The urge to throw up is creeping up on her again, and from the tone of El's voice, something was horribly wrong.

Mrs. Wheeler laughs. "Oh, well come on in!" She surveys her. "Are you okay? You look a little ill."

"Oh, yes! Just a tad under the weather. Allergies or something." She descends the stairs to the basement. "Listen up you little shits, I'm sick and I don't need to referee a campaign or mediate a fight-" Y/n stops when she feels the tenseness in the room.

"Y/n," Eleven says.

Y/n surveys the room and sees Will. He looks shaken. "Will? What's wrong?"

\--/

"I didn't think it was anything at first. I mean, I think I just didn't want to believe it. The first time I felt it was at Day of the Dead," Will explains.

"Power went out that night, too," Y/n says.

"And then I felt it again at the field near the Nelson farm the next day. Then again yesterday outside Castle Byers."

"Why didn't you tell me, Will?" Y/n asks, grabbing his hand.

"I didn't want to worry you. I know how sensitive you are about it because of... Bob."

Y/n looks down, tears filling her eyes. It still hurts.

"What does it feel like?" Max asks.

"It's almost like... You know when you drop on a roller coaster?"

Everyone murmurs their agreement, except Eleven. "No."

"It's like...everything inside your body is just sinking all at once, but... this is worse. Your body... it goes cold and... and you can't breathe. I've felt it before, whenever he was close."

"Whenever who was close?"

"The Mind Flayer."

"I closed the gate," Eleven says, clearly confused.

"I know, but... what if he never left? What if we locked him out here with us?" He grabs a piece of paper and begins drawing a shape. "This is him. All of him. But, that day on the field, a part of him attached itself to me. My mom got it out of me and Eleven closed the gate." He rubs his hand over the dust from the shape. "But the part that was still in me, what if it's still in our world?" He slams it down on the opposite side of the paper, leaving a black dusty handprint. "In Hawkins."

"I don't understand. The Demodogs died when El closed the gate. If the brain dies, the body dies," Lucas says.

"We can't take any chances. We need to assume the worst. The Mind Flayer's back," Y/n says ominously. 

"Yeah. And if he is, he'd want to attach himself to someone again. A new me. A new host."

"How can you tell if someone is a host?" Max asks.

Eleven and Y/n's eyes widen simultaneously. They look at each other. "Billy."