8

The next two days after my date with Kai went by annoyingly slow. It was the last week of school for Phoebe and Jr. so they were gone all day, and my parents obviously have full time jobs, so it was mostly just me and Abuelita spending the days together. I loved spending time with her but because it was so hot we couldn't do much other than hang around the house.

It was currently Tuesday, about 1:30 pm and I was laying on my bedroom floor with the fan and air conditioning on high. This Houston heat is no joke I swear.

As I lay on the ground my mind wanders back to Kai, mostly to our kiss at the end of the night. Not only was I shocked he even asked me out, I was shocked he even made a move. Part of me felt like maybe it was too fast but I didn't care. All I knew at this moment is that our conversations flowed so easy. I didn't feel like I needed to impress him because he already looked and talked to me like I was something amazing in his eyes. On my way home that night I thought about the place I wanted to take him on Wednesday. There's this small art gallery in Galveston, Tx which is about 45 minutes to an hour away. They featured a lot of local artists in the Galveston and Houston area, and I thought it would be the perfect place to take him, being that it was my favorite place to go.

In high school I spent a lot of weekends driving down there to see what ever exhibit they had showing, even if it was the same one I managed to enjoy myself. It was truly my favorite place to be. In addition to the art gallery, the area around it was what we called old Galveston. The buildings were old, but they contained all sorts of tourist shops and cool stores to visit. It's a beach city, being that it is an island they get lots of tourists during the summer. The beach wasn't all that great, the water was a wonky bluish green color, but for some reason everyone in this part of Texas makes it a point to take a vacation there at least a few times in their life.

I'm sure Kai has already been to Galveston since he is from Houston as well, but I don't think he's ever been to the art gallery before. When I had gotten home that night I texted him the name of the place, and that I would drive us there so he wouldn't get lost. He had responded back pretty quickly with a "sounds like a plan beautiful". My heart did little flutters just thinking about it again.

I laid on the ground for so long my body had finally began to relax. I hadn't been sleeping too well because of the dreams I was having, but every night that I had them I could remember more and more of them. After a few short minutes I felt myself falling asleep.

I was running in the woods again. The area around me was lit by the bright light of a full moon. I continued to run till I came across a small stream. I slow down when I get closer to it and look up at the moon. When I looked down to the stream I was met with the pair of glowing yellow eyes of a reddish brown wolf. I let out a  scream at the sight but what came out of me was a loud howl. Was that me?

I look down at the stream again seeing the wolf. I was the wolf.

I snap my head around quickly when I hear the sound of a twig snapping. Emerging from the dark was a large silver and grey wolf with bright blue eyes, the same wolf I see in every dream. It approaches me slowly like it's trying not to frighten me, and once it reaches me it sticks it's head under my neck snuggling it's head against me. At first I was afraid, but the more it begged for attention the more comfortable I felt. I moved my head to the side tucking it under its neck now feeling safe being so close.

Our moment was interrupted by the sound of a low growl coming from between the dark trees. We stare in the direction of the sound waiting for something to appear, till a pair of familiar gold eyes come into view. They look just like mine, only this wolf was jet black, and slightly bigger than the silver one. Unlike the silver one, I didn't feel safe in its presence. I took a step back while the silver wolf stepped forward in a protective stance.

The black wolf looked ready to attack at any moment, and when he finally did I let out another scream which again came out as a howl. It tackled the silver wolf to the ground, the both of them fighting till the silver wolf let out a painful whimper and fell to the ground with a loud thud.

The attention of the black wolf now turned to me. He circled me getting a little closer each time around until he was face to face with me. He let out a loud howl to the sky, and when he turned his head back to me his jaws opened wide and another scream came from me. Only it came out as a scream this time and not a howl.

"Mija wake up!" My Abuelita yells shaking me roughly to pull me out of my dream.

I open my eyes and suck in a deep breath, then cough at the rough feeling in my throat. I struggle to get a solid deep breath in, but when I finally do I am finally able to focus on where I was.

I was still laying on the floor in my bedroom, only now Abuelita had her hands on my shoulders as she hovered above me with a concerned look on her face.

"Are you okay?" Her voice shakes out.

I clear my throat again and nod my head. "My dream... I had the dream again" I croak out sitting up.

She crouches next to me rubbing my back in a soothing way. "I was the wolf Abuelita it was me, and there were others there?" I say in more of a questioned tone and looking up at her for a reaction.

Her face still showed fear, I must have really scared her.

"You sounded like you were being hurt" she says in a shaky voice again.

"I know, I wasn't. I was a wolf, there was two other wolves, and they were fighting each other"

She continues to look at me with fear in her eyes, then she looked away and cleared her throat. "I'm sure it was just a nightmare mija" she says rubbing my back again and giving me a warm smile. Her smile was convincing but her eyes were not. They still held that tint of fear. I knew she wanted to say more but after a few moments she stood up and offered her hand to help me up.

I took her hand and she hoisted me up to my feet. "It always feels so real" I say running my fingers through my hair getting the small baby hairs out of my face, which I now notice are dripping with sweat.

"Some dreams do mija but don't stress yourself so much" she says giving me another reassuring smile that doesn't reach her eyes.

I decided not to press any further. I knew she would never crack no matter how much I pushed. She was stubborn that way. In order to ease my mind I just need to tell myself she's just superstitious about my dream and doesn't want to say. Truthfully it could mean absolutely nothing. The only thing keeping me from fully believing in those words was that the dreams keep happening, and it feels like each time I have them I can remember more bits and pieces.

 The only thing keeping me from fully believing in those words was that the dreams keep happening, and it feels like each time I have them I can remember more bits and pieces

Ooooh looks like Abuelita has a secret 👀 what do y'all think it is? Don't forget to comment and vote!

Thanks!- Zeri