•Chapter 5• The Triplets Birthday

Two days later, the sun started to rise. Jade got up early and silently made her way down the stairs. She glanced behind her to make sure none of her brothers were following her. From what she could see and hear, she was the only one awake. She usually wouldn't get up this early on a Friday, but today is a very special day. Today, October 2nd is the day the triplets turn seventeen. She quietly made her way to the kitchen and opened the cabinets and fridge. She started to make three chocolate muffins, those are her brother's favorites. They were finished rather quickly. She put them into the oven and started to make the family's breakfast. As she stood in the kitchen, she caught a glimpse of herself and her mother in a picture. Jade smiled and took the picture in her hands. She got a flashback of when she and her mother made the birthday breakfast for the twins. Jade always helped her mother. Her mother looked so happy in that picture, even though she was terribly sick. That was the last birthday they celebrated with their mother. Jade put the picture back in its place and continued making breakfast. Jade then heard something on the stairs. She peeked around the corner and saw her three brothers sitting on the stairs as if they were little children. She folded her arms over her chest. "No no, back up!" She instructed. The three of them groaned and made their way back to their rooms. Jade laughed a little and finished making everyone's breakfast. She set the table and walked towards the stairs. She quietly made her way up, trying to not get caught by her brothers, and sneaked to her father's room. He was already awake and sitting up straight in his bed. Jade helped him up and down the stairs. "You're an angel," Bill tells his daughter as he looked at the food on the table. Jade smiled and glanced back at the stairs. The triplets were back again. She chuckled. "Alright, come here you losers." She said. The three boys rushed into the room and hugged their little sister. "Thank you!" The three of them said. "You're welcome." She said and kissed their cheeks. The three boys sat down at the table. Bill looked at his daughter. "Presents?" He asked her. Jade rushed out of the dining room to get the presents. When she returned she had three packages in her hands. She handed them to her brothers. They quickly ripped off the wrapping paper. "Happy birthday!" Jade said. Jerry was holding a new astrology book in his hands, Jack was holding like 30 pairs of happy socks, and Jayden was holding new headphones. "Thanks, guys!" They said. Bill holds up his hand. "These are your sister's presents. You will get my present after school, boys." Bill tells his sons. The Salvini children were a little confused at first, but eventually, let it go. "Finish your breakfast and off to school, kids," Bill said.

Later that day, Jayden walked towards his locker. He opened it and put some of his books into it. When he closed it he got scared by Megan who stood next to him. "Meg, you scared me." Jayden chuckled. Megan smiled at him. "Sorry." She apologized. She put her hand in her backpack and got out a box wrapped up in red paper. Jayden smiled at her. "What's this?" He asked her. "It's your birthday, right? It's something small, I hope you like it." She tells him. "How do you know it's my birthday?" Jayden asked her. Megan shrugged. "You have been living across the street from my house for seventeen years. I kind of remember." She tells him. Jayden smiled at her. "Thanks, Meg," he said. Megan smiled at him. "Of course. I'm sorry about my father, by the way, he's very curious." She tells him. Jayden couldn't be mad at her, even though it was her father who broke in. "It's alright." He smiled at her. Megan glanced behind Jayden and saw his brothers walking towards him. "I should go. The girls don't want me to talk to you." Megan said. "Do they still think I'm a player?" Jayden asked her. Megan nodded and shrugged. "Yeah, but I don't think you are. So you hooked up with some girls? They could've said no." Megan said. Jayden smiled at her. Megan smiled back and walked away. Jack and Jerry suddenly stood behind him. "What was she doing here?" Jerry questioned. Jayden shrugged. "None of your business." He tells his brothers and glanced down at the present Megan had given him. "Aw, she gave him a present!" Jack teased. "Shut up." Jayden said and tried to hide his blush. He slowly ripped off the paper around the box. "What did she give you?" Jerry questioned. "More important, why didn't we get anything?" Jack joked. Jayden didn't open the box, he put it in his bag and looked at his brothers. "It's my present." He tells them, "None of your business." He added.

That evening, the Salvini family sat around the coffee table. They were unpacking some of the presents their family members had send them. Bill smiled as he looked at his sons. "Anyone want something warm? Coffee?" Jade asked. All four men nodded. Jade stood up and walked towards the kitchen. "Hey Jade, when are we getting to blow out the candles?" Jerry called after his sister. "Jayden might want to blow something else." Jack joked. Jayden slapped the back of his head. "Soon, boys!" Jade called from the kitchen. "You're not starting without me, are you?" A low male voice said. The triplets glanced behind them. "Uncle Louis!" They said and jumped up to have a very manly group hug. Jade came back with a tray with their mugs on it. She sat it down and ran into the arms of her 'uncle'. Louis smiled at her. "Hello, Little one, have you gotten bigger?" He asked her. Jade laughed. "As if." She said, "Would you like some coffee?" She asked him. Louis nodded and took off his scarf and coat. Jade walked back into the kitchen. Louis Johnson is an old friend of the family. Bill and Louis were in school together. He's the godfather of the Salvini children. He's in better shape than Bill is. He might be in his sixties, but he's in great shape. Louis sat next to Bill on the couch. "How are you, old man?" Louis asked his friend. Bill glanced at him. "I've never been better." He tells him, "How are you?" Bill asked. Louis shrugged. "I'm fine. I've got some more supplies for you, by the way." He tells Bill. "Where did you get more?" Bill asked him. Louis smirked at him, not saying anything. That meant enough for Bill. "I thought we'd agreed-" "I know what we agreed to, but no one will miss these little brats anyway. And it might keep you alive for more than just a couple of months." Louis tells him. "But mur-" Bill started but then  saw his sons in the room. He lowered his voice. "But murder?" Bill questioned his friend. Louis glared at him. "I'm starting to think you're not thankful." Louis said. "I am, but you know what happened last time." Bill reminded his friend. "Look, one more and you're covered for another year. You want to see your children grow up, right?" Louis said. Bill was about to open his mouth, when Jade walked back in. She handed Louis a mug. "There you go." She smiled. Louis smiled back at her. "Just as sweet as ever. Thank you, Little One." Louis said and kissed her hand. Bill sits up straight and looks at Jade. "Little One, could you maybe go to the kitchen and check on the cake?" Bill asked her. "Why? The cake won't be done for another fifteen minutes." She complained. "Little One, I have to give your brothers their presents, I'll tell you when you're older." Bill said. Jade sighs and walks back to the kitchen. Louis glanced at his old friend. Bill sat on the edge of the couch. "Sons, I have something to tell you. Something very important, so listen carefully."