•Chapter 21• Pretty Girls

It was morning again. The clouds filled the skies above Hill City. Megan sighed loudly making the three brothers look at her. "I'm bored!" Megan complained. "I know Jayden would love to entertain you, but there are kids nearby," Jack whispered the last part and covered Jerry's ears.
Megan giggled quietly. Jerry glared at him. "Not funny." He said. Jack removed his hands from his ears and shrugged. "Can't we go out? Just for a little while? We've been here for days now." Megan complained. But Jayden shook his head.
"It seems like a bad idea. We don't know if the search party is close or not. I don't know if we want to risk it." Jayden tells her making her groan.
"Oh, come on, Jayden. We've been in that musty hole for days." Megan complained. Jayden glanced over his shoulders to look at his brothers.
"Doesn't seem like a bad idea. The search party is probably gone by now, anyway." Jerry said. Megan looked at Jayden as her face lit up.
Jayden sighed quietly and turned back to her, holing out one of his hands. Megan took his hand and stood up. They made their way towards the door and pushed it open.
The four of them walked out of the factory.
Megan inhaled the fresh air and smiled. Jayden stared at her in awe. "This is amazing. It feels like the first day of spring after a long winter." She says as she looks up at the sky. Even though it was covered in clouds, Megan still thought it was beautiful. She started to wander off the factory's terrain and into the forest with the triplets following her.
Jayden watched every step she took. She looked so happy and relieved. "You're staring again," Jack said as he walked up next to his brother. Jerry walked up to them as well. The three boys looked at the girl in front of them touching trees and plants.
"She's worth it." Jayden sighed. His two brothers looked at him. "Jayden's in love!" They teased him. Jayden blushed slightly and rests his arms on his brothers' shoulders.
"Yeah, you can say that. One day, you two will get that." He tells them. Jerry and Jack patted his back and kept looking at Megan. But what they didn't know, is that someone was watching all four of them from the shadows.

Meanwhile, Jade walked through the halls alone again. She walked straight towards her locker, trying to ignore everything and everyone around her.
She didn't focus on the staring or the whispering. Getting to her locker was the only thing that mattered. She was so focused, she didn't hear anyone walk up behind her. A hand slammed against the locker next to hers, snapping her out of her thoughts.
"Andrew, I don't want to talk-" She started. "I'm kind of hurt that you're comparing me with him." A low voice replied. Jade glanced to her right and saw Andrew's brother, Henry. Jade was about to open her mouth when he pushed her forcefully against her locker.
His grip on her arms and shoulders was strong. Very strong. She tried to squirm out of his grip but wasn't able to. "Aw, trying to get away?" He asked her in a teasing tone, "I thought you liked it." he added. Jade still tried to push him away but got slapped in the face instead. Henry then forcefully grabbed her face in one of his hands.
"What are you gonna do? Cry? Are you going to cry for help?" He barked at her. Jade bit the inside of her cheek, trying to hold back a tear. "Look around. No one is going to help you." He tells her, "Where are your brothers now, huh?" He continued. She didn't answer him which caused her to get slapped once more. He then pulled her away from her locker, and into an empty classroom. Jade didn't even try to call for help.
She knew no one was going to help her. In the classroom, one of Henry's friends was waiting for them. The two guys started to pull on her hair and even beat her.
Henry's friend kicked against her legs making her fall to her knees. Henry stood in front of her and looked at his friend. "Aw, you see that? Seems like her brothers are not pleasing her enough." He chuckled and grabbed her hair in his hand,
"Because you're their little one, aren't you? Such a disgusting family you are." He whispered to her. He then looked back at his buddy.
"Do you get what Andrew sees in her?" Henry questioned. The door of the classroom flung open and Andrew ran inside.
He stood between his brother and his girlfriend.
"What the fuck, dude?!" Andrew exclaimed. He pulled Jade up to her feet and glared at Henry. "I don't know what's wrong with you, but this is crazy. Even for you." Andrew said and got out of the classroom with Jade under his arm.
She couldn't hold back the tears any longer. Andrew noticed and took her into the boy's restroom. No one goes there anyway. He hugged her as she let everything go.

Back in the forest, Jerry and Megan were back at the factory while Jack and Jayden got some things from the grocery store. Megan was kind of quiet as Jerry was the one that freaked her out the most, the night they were chasing her. They just sat there in silence. Jerry eventually spoke up. "I'm really sorry about all of this." He tells her.
"It's okay," Megan replied. "It's not. I should've come up with a plan so we wouldn't be stuck here like we are now. I'm sorry." He apologized again.
"Don't blame yourself for this. You can't always be the smartest or come up with the smartest solution." She tells him. "Yes, I do." He tells her. She chuckled at him.
"No, you don't." She assures him.
"Damn it, you don't get it! If I'm not smart, what am I?!" He snapped at her, "I'm not good at sports or cool like Jayden, I'm not funny like Jack! What am I besides my books, huh?!" He yelled. Megan backed up slightly as she saw the darkness return in her eyes. Jerry quickly snapped out of it, holding up his hands.
"I'm sorry." He whispered. Megan calmed down again and scooted a little closer to the boy. "Why would you say that?" She asked him. Jerry sighed and runs his hand through his hair. "I'm the youngest. No matter what, they will always make fun of me. Jack and Jayden...they've always been able to socialize and have friends. I'm not like them, nor my father.  It sounds stupid, I know." He tried to explain.
"You just want to be part of the family," Megan said and scooted closer to him so she was now next to him. "I don't even know why I'm telling you this." He said. "Maybe because you trust me?" She said. Jerry glanced up at her.
"I see why Jayden likes you." He tells her. She blushed and nudged his shoulder. "Well, isn't there a girl you like?" She asked him. "I don't know if-" He started. "We're finally talking. Come on, I won't tell your brothers." She assures him. He scratched the back of his neck.
"There is this one girl at school." He said awkwardly,
"I really like her. Her hair's like...and she has those eyes that...she's just perfect." He tells her. Megan looked at him. "And what's she like?" She questioned. Jerry smiled as he thought of Liz. "She's smart, kind, caring, sweet. She's just perfect." He tells Megan.
She smiled back at him. "Have you talked to her yet?" She asked. Jerry let out a sigh as he thought of his girl. "I have. And I think she likes me too." He tells her.
"That's great! You should ask her out!" Megan cheered.
Jerry chuckled and pointed one finger at the ceiling. "Kind of hard when you're hiding from everyone because you kidnapped someone." He tells her.
"One day, all of this will be over." She tells him. Jerry sighed. "Let's hope it's not too late by then." He replied quietly. Megan put her hand on his shoulder.
"Trust me, she's going to wait for you if she likes you back." She assures him. Jerry smiled at her. "Thanks, Megan." He said. "Any time." She replied.
The silence returned for a slight second before Megan opened her mouth again. "Are you going to tell me who it is?" She questioned.
Jerry chuckled and shook his head. "No way." He said making her laugh as well. "Just don't tell my brothers about this, will you?" He asked her. She nodded.
"I won't say a word." She assures him.