C9

" So, you let your sister's boyfriend drive you to Seattle to what... see your Aunt ?", Jacob asked while he worked on the Rabbit and Cherry sat on a nearby stool watching him .

" Not exactly ,Jake . I ...Um...kind of was supposed to see my mother ,but I got cold feet and went to see my Aunt instead. She drove me back and decided to stay for a few weeks . She's on leave from work anyway ,so it's not such a big deal ."

" So, you ditched Cullen ?. Wasn't he angry ? ."

" No ...I don't know ...I haven't seen or heard from him after I left the restaurant ".

Jacob let out a soft laugh . " Well, aren't you badass for defying a Cullen . Anyway , Dad's holding a bonfire tonight . Are you going to stay for it ?. It's only going to be me ,you Sam and his gang and of course the council . They'll be telling stories and legends about the Quileute tribe . There's gonna be two others . I think Emily Young ,Harry Clearwater's niece and Kim from school . I'm only allowed at the bonfire 'cause I know the legends having heard my Dad tell them every night since I'd been little . I don't know why you , Emily and Kim are invited ,though . Anyway , are you going to stay for it ?".

Folding her arms around her knees ,Cherry looked at her bestie . The previous time she'd been invited the rain crashed any plans for the bonfire into mud . Now she wasn't so sure about attending . What if the rain appeared again ?.

" I'll think about it . I can ask my Dad if I can sleep over at Kim's or at the Clearwater's house . Leah's a girl , right?. So he can't have any qualms about me staying over there ".

" Leah's like nineteen , Cherry , and for some reason she doesn't like you all that much . So, just go with the Kim story . You girls are on friendly terms ,right?".

" Yeah , at school ,but I haven't hung out with her ,Jake . I'll try and be as convincing as I can to my Dad . "

" Okay , if you say so . Anyway ,please hand me that wrench over there and come make yourself useful . "

Cherry huffed at his last word ,but complied anyway being bored already with just sitting around on her behind .

Later Quil and Embry arrived with pizza and cold drinks and they all had a great time working on the Rabbit and joking around .

Later it took Billy's charms to convince Charlie to let Cherry stay for the night . He even let her sleep over at the Black's house .

By six o'clock Cherry and Jake walked to the backyard of the house where earlier Sam and his gang had built a bonfire .

Cherry was dressed in warm pants , a jumper and her warm woolen beanie and mittens . She wore warm winter boots on her feet . Her attire was because of the chilly night ,but she'd worn the pants and jumper that morning because of the cold air . She didn't go and change at home like any girl would have . She's not one for making the laundry basket overflow because she'd dressed up twice or thrice in one day .

They were laughing and joking as they entered the circle of light casted by the fire. The Elders glared at them sternly and they quieted down as they took up the last remaining seats beside Sam .

Cherry found herself seated in between her bestie and the man she'd fallen for since the first day she'd seen him in the store .

As usual he was quiet and she felt something akin to a peaceful aura radiating from him .

She shifted closer to him until their elbows and knees touched . She wasn't shocked or even felt awkward when he wrapped an arm around her .

Jacob stared at them funny ,but didn't comment because his father gave him a look that said to leave them be .