C18

" Cherry , please if you see Jacob at school today ,can you tell him to call me back ?", Bella had asked that morning before Cherry had gone off to school .

It's been a real bummer of a week since Jacob had phased for the first time .

Billy had told Cherry , when she'd gotten to his place after school on Monday , that Jacob  was doing better under Sam's guidance .  She was just not allowed to go to the pack house now . None of the imprints were .

Being in school on the reservation didn't seem  so great anymore now that Bella was pestering  her to help her talk to Jake .

She sighed deeply as she and Quil walked to Billy's house from school . Quil had insisted on coming with her since she was the only friend he had left , according to him ,that is .

She felt really sorry for him that first Embry and now Jake had broken up with him .

She knew it hurt ,but couldn't do or say anything to help him . The secret of the pack weren't hers to tell .

" Do you think he'll be there?", Quil asked ," I don't want to bump into him , ya know . He was really nasty with me when I tried talking to him the other day ."

" I'm sure he's not there . Billy wouldn't have let me wait for my Dad there otherwise ."

" Yeah, I guess . Billy didn't want to let me in yesterday when I came by after you've left . I think Jacob was at home then."

" Well, you should try and come by my house on Saturday , which is tomorrow obviously, and you and I can_"

She's cut off when a truck pulled up beside them . Sam's truck to be exact and he was behind the steering wheel.

" Hey , Cherry , Quil , need a lift?", he greeted them his eyes on Cherry mostly .

" Um ,yeah, sure ", Quil mumbled , although he looked more down than ever before.

He stood aside so Cherry could get in first after he opened the door for her and for the first time since that day of the nasty message , she get to be very close to Sam .

" To Billy's ,right?", he asked and she nodded quickly while trying not to look at him .

She wanted so desperately to look at him .

She felt his shoulder touch hers , sending tingles through her whole body and she had to suppress the desire to shift closer ,or even lean against him .

The ride was over quickly and she was quite disappointed when she followed Quil out . She'd wanted to stay behind with Sam .

He drove off ,but not before he send her a broody kind of look .

Why that was ,she didn't know , but it made her legs become weak . So much so  that she had to keep herself steady as to not fall .

Billy opened the door when they knocked and Cherry could see that something was wrong the moment Billy face became stony .

" You can't be here , Cherry . I'm sorry ", he said not sounding really sorry .

Cherry understood instantly . Haven't she and Quil spoken of it earlier ?. Of how Billy won't let them in if Jacob was home .

" It's okay . I'll wait somewhere else then ", she said ,turning on her heels to walk away .

Why didn't Sam tell her that Jacob was home ?. Or didn't he know?.

She sighed as she and Quil walked away . Where she was going to wait ,she didn't know because she knew that Quil wasn't supposed to bring friends home on week days , even when it's a Friday .