Chapter 19

"So what can I get... Carter?" I looked up from the menu and looked right into the eyes of Ashton. After my dream involving him earlier, I was almost scared of him. There seemed to be something off about his appearance as well. I just didn't notice it when he was at my apartment earlier today. His hair was usually messy, but this was horrible, even for him. He put his contacts in, but his whole demeanour just seemed exhausted, like he hasn't slept in days. And there was something in his eyes I had never seen before; guilt.

"Hi Ashton." I spoke softly. I wanted to ask what was wrong, why he looked so tired all of the sudden, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I still feared him, even though I knew he'd never hurt me. He'd never hurt anyone. "Um, I'm still deciding, you guys go first." I looked at Minnie, hoping she'd get the hint.

"Oh, a coke please." She stated. Calum agreed.

"I'll have the same as them," Luke ordered.

"A water please," I ordered finally. After seeing Ashton, it made me feel sick to my stomach, so I couldn't get a soda. He was giving me a bad vibe lately.

"Sprite. Thanks Ashton." Ashton gave a small nod and smiled a little at me before leaving to get the drinks.

"I need to use the restroom, Minnie?" She nodded and squeezed out of the booth the same time I did. We went into the door and locked it behind us.

As soon as the door shut, I started breathing heavy, like I did in my dream. "Hey, Amber. What's wrong? As soon as you saw Ashton, you looked like a mass murderer came to take your order." I explained my dream to Minnie, and how his whole being seemed to be... different.

"Well shit. Maybe you should trust your instincts on this one." Minnie crossed her legs, leaning against the wall.

I rubbed my temples with my palms. "I know. But we know Ashton. I doubt he'd ever hurt anyone else, let alone me."

Minnie's eyes went wide. "W-what if?"

"What if what Minnie?" I turned to face her.

"You aren't going to like it, but what if... Ashton was your rapist?" Minnie looked away, afraid of my reaction.

"Stop joking around, Minnie." I crossed my arms, clearly not amused.

"No, I'm serious. Think about it, A. You said you've noticed things have been changing about him lately. You noticed the changes today. Two days after the raping. And he was fine the day before, you said it yourself. He's been looking guilty. Guilty of what Amber? What exactly could he be guilty of?" My head swirled with questions after she finished hammering me with questions. "Ask him what he's guilty of if you're certain he didn't do it."

I straightened my back, attempting to look confident. Even though, I was anything but. What if he was? Even worse- what if he wasn't, and I lost his friendship because of this?

Either way, the friendship was doomed. Even if I didn't ask him. "I'll ask him." Minnie came over and rubbed my back.

"Let's just figure this out, okay? I'll be with you every step of the way. I'll even come with you to ask him if you want." I nodded. As Ashton was talking to Calum, I saw him turn to me, then quickly turn back, as if he was avoiding my gaze.

I squeezed Minnie's hands behind me for comfort, and she returned it for support. I let her go, and slide in next to Calum and Luke. She gave me a thumbs up as I took a deep breath in.

"Ashton? Can I talk to you alone for a moment?" He nodded and kept his eyes on the floor, leading me to the area right by where the food was. "What's happened to you?"

"I don't know what you mean." His eyes were still on the floor.

"You know exactly what I mean Ashton." I used my two fore fingers to lift his head up, making him look at me. "You aren't the same. You look like you have the constant feeling of guilt hanging on your shoulder. May I ask why?"

"You're gonna hate me."

"I doubt I could-,"

"I was the one who gave you those." He quietly blurted. He pointed to my hips, where the bruises where slightly fading. My hand instantly went to my mouth, tears instantly forming in my eyes. I didn't even try to stop them. I backed up slowly, jerking back once he tried to reach out for me. "Please, Amber you have to listen to-,"

"No Ashton. I don't have to listen to you. There is nothing you could say that could ever make me forgive you. Nothing. And I suggest you get ready to adjust to jail, because that's where you'll end up."

"You can't tell them that it was me. I can't do jail time, Amber." The tears were forming in his eyes now.

"I don't have to tell them, Ashton. They took DNA. Any day they'll find you. And you deserve jail, Ashton. You do." The tears were free falling by now, for the both of us, and I could officially say I was tired of crying. I felt like that's all I've been doing since Halloween. I backed up, making it all of the way to the table. I grabbed Luke, considering I was legally responsible for him.

"You were right, Minnie." I wiped the tears, running out of the diner, Luke tagging behind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: pic is Minnie :)

Okay, I cannot torture you guys, as much as I'd love to. A new update will be here in a few hours :*

xx

🎶KATY🎶