Chapter 2

"Amber?" Michael asked me as we climbed up the fire escape to my apartment. I stopped and sat on the step. I nodded for him to continue. "I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"Calling you a bitch. And crazy. And just how today went. I'm sorry." I rested my hand on his shoulder, blowing a long brown strand out of my face.

"It's ok Michael. I honestly forgot about it already." I smiled at him, which he returned, and climbed up the rest of the steps. When I made it to my window, I pushed it open, and climbed into my room, and Mikey followed.

"Why didn't we just go through the lobby?"

"It's too mainstream." I laughed. "I actually haven't paid for my A/C yet. It's due tomorrow." He shook his head and laid on my bed, clearly tired.

"Now I know why you are so fit. I've seen how much you eat, and you work it all off by doing that." I shoved his shoulder, both of us laughing. We sat there in comfortable silence, then I jumped up, grabbing his bag, along with my own. Michael rose up and followed me to my kitchen.

"Do you mind me asking about your parents? I mean, I'm legal, but you aren't. Don't you live with your parents? You are supposed to."

"It's good." I looked around, and yelled for my parents. "They are gone. I technically live with them, but they are never home. They're always on business trips." I walked over to the 'special' cabinet. "Money in the envelope means business trip, no money means staying late at work." I pulled open the envelope, revealing more money than they've ever left me. "Looks like they'll be gone for a while." I sighed and shrugged, putting most of the money back in the envelope.

"Doesn't it get lonely?" Michael actually looked upset for me.

"A little, but I'll get used to it."

"You shouldn't have to." He stood up now, off of the red bar stools by the breakfast bar.

I shrugged, and held up almost twenty dollars. "Want some pizza?" I walked over to the landline and dialled the number. While I was ordering, I felt Michael's eyes burning in the back of my skull. I knew he wouldn't let this go. A loud knock sounded on the door, causing Michael and I to jump. I placed the phone on the charger as Michael ran to grab my umbrella.

"What are you doing?" I smirked.

"Protecting us. It's obviously not the pizza guy." The knock sounded again, then the door swung open, revealing Minnie, her lilac coloured hair up in a bun, wearing her blue tank top, and matching sleep shorts. Michael threw the umbrella, it barely missing Minnie.

She turned to look at the fallen "weapon" and turned on her heel, slamming my door in the process. She stomped all the way up to Michael, squinting her eyes at him. "What the hell?" She yelled, craning her head up, so she could actually make eyes contact with the 6'2 boy. She then turned to me.

"Did you happen to tell your 'boy toy' that I'm your best friend, and I have a key?" Michael and I blushed at 'boy toy.'

"Why'd you knock if you have a key?" Michael now squinted his eyes and looked down at my best friend. She rolled her eyes, then turned to me.

"Who's this idiot?" She pointed to him as Michael stuck his tongue out at her.

"Michael. He's my tutor, and he's staying for dinner, while I help him organise." I smiled. She glared at him, then running to my couch, getting herself comfortable while looking for the remote. She found it and switched my TV to the Simpsons marathon. I smiled at her love for the animated show, and lead Michael to my dining room, where we spent the next half hour rearranging his things.

The doorbell rung, and Minnie jumped up to answer it. She then yelled, "Amber? Where's the money?" I smiled and shook my head, leaving Michael to put his binders away.

I quickly scurried to grab the money, counting it as I made it to the door. "Well, I don't know for sure if this is enough, how much is it ag-?" I looked up at the 6-foot-something, brunette, hazel-eyed delivery guy and smiled.

"Uh," he looked at the receipt, "Just 17 even..." He paused. "And your number," he smiled and winked. I blushed and looked down, when I suddenly felt an arm swoop around my waist. I looked up to see none other than Michael Clifford.

"Sorry bro, she's taken." He flashed a cheeky smile, as the delivery guy's face fell in defeat. I handed him a twenty, and told him to keep the change. Minnie took the pizza from his hands, and shot him a wink, as I rolled my eyes and shut the door. Michael removed his arm for my waist and I turned to look at him.

"What was that?"

"Amber, he looked gross. You could've gotten an std just by looking at him!" He laughed and Minnie joined in.

"He was sorta cute, but he looks like he could've banged every girl in the city." Minnie laughed even harder at her own comment.

"And Michael doesn't? I mean look at him!" I regretted it as soon as it came out of my mouth. Minnie stopped laughing to look at Michael's reaction. He had one eyebrow perked up and had the cheekiest smirk on his face. Then Minnie looked back over to my reddened face, and burst out laughing once more.