Chapter 22

The snow lightly fell, a few pieces sticking to the car window. I tapped my fingers on my legs, trying to calm myself down.

"Hey, you don't have to go through with it." Michael rested his hand on top of mine.

I let out a breath and leaned back into the car seat. "I know. But I really should." I took a deep breath and swung the car door open, leaving the furnace that was Michael's car. I felt snowflakes fall onto my nose as I made it into the clinic, Michael following closely behind.

"Hi, I have an appointment. My name is Amber Hemmings?" I stood and waited for the secretary to type my name into the computer.

"Yes, take a seat please." I nodded and grabbed Michael's hand, leading him the chairs closest to the offices. I looked around. There was a woman crying; her baby ended up being a stillborn. Next to her, there was a pregnant mp woman who looked due any day, rubbing her stomach, and looking very uncomfortable. There were two men next to a pregnant woman, talking about adoption. I guessed they were two gay men looking to adopt the woman's baby.

"Amber?" I stood up, leaving Michael alone in the room of pregnant women. I followed the nurse down a well lit hallway, looking ahead. She lead me into a room that looked a lot like a plain doctor's office.

"So, Amber. We are going to show you an ultrasound, and give you a few minutes on whether you decide you want to go through with it, is that okay?" I nodded and laid down on the uncomfortable bed. The nurse lifted my shirt a little higher, exposing my stomach. She put the cool gel on my stomach, making me flinch. "I'm sorry, I should've warned you first." She chuckled. She held the wand to my stomach and told me to look at the monitor. I couldn't help but smile at the little silhouette of the baby. My baby. I pressed my finger to the monitor, right where her hand was, and it covered it entirely.

"Are you positive you want to go through with this?" She looked at me, making me feel guilty. I didn't want to kill my baby, but I can't keep her. If I do, it's going to constantly remind me of the terrible thing that happened.

But if I did, she could end up like Michael. She'd dye her hair all the time, and then I wouldn't be reminded that it's Ashton's kid, not his. I took a deep breath, once she took the wand off and wiped the gel off my stomach. I sat up.

"It says here that you had cancer as a child."

"Yeah, there was a super tiny chance that I'd even get pregnant. What do you think I should do?"

"I personally wouldn't. Especially considering that you may never have kids again. I'll give a few minutes."

"Thanks." I stared at my hands in my lap. She was right. I may not have another kid, I have to take this. I have to. Now knowing this, I don't think I could give him/her up for adoption. Ever.

When the nurse walked back in, I told her I was backing out. She said she was happy I was and lead me out. I told Michael about me having cancer as a child, and that this may be my only chance.

"I'm totally okay with it."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, she or he just needs to dye their hair like their stepdad." He winked and pulled me into a tight embrace.