Chapter 36

Anya grew a bit worried. For the past few days she tried to get in touch with Director Fury through his private line without luck. At first the phone kept ringing without receiving an answer. The man didn't set up a voicemail for obvious reasons, not wishing to keep traces of conversations. But after a few days that disappeared and was replaced by a dial tone. It wasn't as if what she had to say to him was important, but wanted to update on her progress after being so secretive about the whole situation. The young woman refused to tell him everything still, but just enough that hinted she experienced success.

"Do you wish to leave?" Thor asked one evening.

They were lying side-by-side in bed, the agent's cheek pressed against his bare chest, an arm draped over his torso. In turn, the god gripped at the hand, his other playing with her strands of hair in a laid-back manner.

"No," Anya said. "If the Director had to cut off his private line something is wrong. And I won't have us rushing into something blindly without orders."

"But it is distracting you."

Earlier in the day Sif managed to land a roundhouse kick to the agent. Normally, the young woman would have maneuvered out of the way or managed to catch the attack, but this time it cracked against her cheek sending her crashing to the ground. It was the first time Thor ever saw the warrior fuss over someone she injured in sparring and he greatly worried as well. A kick from Sif could easily break jaws if all of her strength was put into it. Thankfully, the area only swelled, but it was becoming discolored when the hours ticked by. Even after applying ice. The next few trips to town would have to be done by Thor alone so no one in Finnsnes grew worried or suspicious to what Anya may be up to.

"I just need to process it. I've never known the Director to need to disappear before." She just hoped the rest of the Avengers, if involved, were alright. If they were in dire need though, Clint or Natasha would have reached out at this point.

"No sparring for a few days. Could you allow me that so you have time to heal? And collect your thoughts?"

She sighed at that, nuzzling into him before muttering, "Fine, but I'm going to get antsy."

The prince chuckled, kissing the top of her head.

Unable to train, Thor and Sif would spare while she watched them move about at full strength. It was a sight to behold from the way their weapons clashed before they were at it again without hesitation. And the female was a force to be reckoned with, swiping at the prince's legs when he tried to attack. Anya even made note of a few moves to try out herself.

But by midweek, Sif had been called away to rejoin the Warriors Three and Thor traveled to another planet to handle an uprising. That left Anya alone. She focused on her meditations to try and get in some training. It helped pass the time, especially when it rained for two days. Yet when the weather cleared up, she needed to move about and find another activity. The bruise looked nearly healed, the skin having turned yellow, but still didn't want to risk being questioned about it if she drove into town for a leisure day. Instead, she glanced around the kitchen while eating breakfast thinking of something to do. That's when the young woman noticed the gathering dust on a shelf. Thinking back, it'd been a few months since the whole home had been properly cleaned, pulling out the cleaning supplies and setting to work with the windows open wide for the rooms to air out. She performed the task in sections, and as she began to wrap up on the last part of the home three days later the Bifrost appeared in the mountains. Watching through the open window for a moment, a silver and red clad figure descended. Pleased to see who it was, the young woman waited on the porch for their arrival.

Thor was completely spent when he returned. Anya hugged him tightly, despite the fact that he was sweaty and maybe even smelled a bit due to his movements and ushered him inside. Setting Mjolnir on the coffee table he trudged off towards the shower. The young woman collected his armor from the bathroom once the water was running, setting it in the bedroom for him to clean later before returning to the place she left off prior to his arrival. Anya gave a heavy sigh, looking around the living room to survey the last few things. Taking a duster, the young woman began to brush off the shelves one by one and then the trinkets that occupied them. She became distracted by the music playing low in the background, even humming a few times lowly to herself. So distracted that when the agent reached over to lift the objects off the table that were in her way one by one to clean under them she didn't realize the last item she grabbed and lifted before it was too late. Glancing around at the now neat surface where a few of her books were stacked in the center with a small paper weight sitting on top something was missing, juggling the item still in her grasp.