Chapter 15: Trust issues.

When the detective in charge of Jasmine's case contacted Sophia and asked her to come to the coroner's office, her heart broke in tiny pieces. Her heart was stuck on her throat as she fought the urge to throw up. She made her way to the morgue where they waited for her to identify the body of a Jane Doe.

"Are you sure you are ready to do this?" The detective asked her softly.

He was worried what effect that might have on her, still, her help was very much needed. He struggled to find a lead, nothing much came out. He found her car, and unfortunately there was nothing in it. There was no trace, no fingerprints, nothing. No matter how many people he had on that case, nothing turned up. Whoever did that despicable thing, was very careful to cover his, or her tracks.

He hated those cases. He was afraid that the victim and her family will have no closure, and the guilty one would escape. Jasmine's case kept him awake at night, looking for any clues, anything that can give some clarity to where she was. Even though the owner of the club and also her boyfriend, Kim Seokjin, was ruled out as a possible suspect, he still had his eyes on him, and his friends. More so, he had all the motives to make her go away, in the end she did stole his money. The fact that there were no direct evidence, was frustrating him.

Sophia could see the care in his eyes, and even if she resented him for how slow he moved with the case, she tried to keep an open mind, at the end of the day, they both had the same objective in mind, finding Jasmine. She took a deep breath, slightly nodded and the coroner took off the sheet that was covering the body. Sophia gasped at the sight of a severe beaten woman. She was hard to identify, however, it wasn't Jasmine, that she could tell.

"It's not her." She cried out. The detective wrapped his arms around her, patting her back, as she cried on his shoulder. He silently made a sign for the coroner to cover the body and took her outside.

"I don't know what to feel. I'm relieved that it's not my sister, but I'm heartbroken for that girl."

"I understand. It's a tough position to be in. I promise you, we will try to find her."

"Thank you." Sophia said barely above a whisper.

"I know that it doesn't seem like this, but we are trying our best to find her."

"I'm afraid we won't find her alive." She said covering her face as another tear rolled down her cheek. She felt like she was about to collapse to the floor at any given second.

The detective didn't told her that he was afraid of the same thing. He tried to comfort her the best he could. "I think for now it's better if you go home, I will call you if I find anything else. Thank you for coming today." He said in all honesty, it wasn't much to work on.

Sophia didn't say anything else, she just left. She got into her car, leaned her head on the steering wheel and released all her tears and pain. She should be happy that it wasn't Jasmine on that cold steel table. Her heart was torn apart, she couldn't think, she could barely breath. The pain she felt in her chest, was nothing compared to what she felt before. Maybe it was time to give up her search and move on with her life. More so when it was obvious she won't be able to find her. The possibility of her being alive after all that time, was getting smaller and smaller with each passing day.

If the police couldn't find her, what were the odds of her succeeding? She felt like she was battling windmills. Nothing she did brought her any answers. She suddenly remembered Jasmine's diary, perhaps she could find there the missing link. She was shaking so bad she couldn't put her key into ignition. She also had to go to the club, she couldn't bring herself to drive in her state, and she wasn't that strong to be able to pretend she was okay.