Meeting some People

Adrika's POV

"What do you mean? Who was he?" I asked. I was convinced he wasn't a bad guy. Why would I say someone who wasn't to be trusted to look out for my husband. But Leo was the only one I could trust now.

"That my darling was Maddox Sean Coleman. Chief of your security." Leo said.

"Chief of security? Are we in danger?" I asked.

"You two are young, beautiful and successful. It's pretty easy to get enemies when you have it all." He said.

"I thought he was nice." I said looking at Mads at the bar. He was watching everyone with a watchful eyes.

"Of course he is. God! Ree you took it all wrong. He has been with you all your life. Except for Sky, no one in this world can love you like Mads do. He took some Oath of Protection at your birth or something. Some of your royal family thing. I don't understand it. It's like you are everything he has left in this world. And that's what I mean by he is the worst person for you to run into now. He can know you aren't yourself with a snap." Leo said.

         I looked at the man. I guess some things never change. Royal families still had that brutal selfish tradition that ruined so many lives. I was familiar with the oath of protection. The protector were not allowed to have a life. They could not marry, have a family, have friends. The bratty royals become their lives. I didn't had one as I remember because my father was strongly against it but maybe with change of world his personality changes. Mads must be in his mid 30s. So like at 10 or 11 when he must have taken the oath. What he must have understand about the life he was choosing for himself? That's why I felt so emotional towards him. I wanted to talk to him.

"Excuse me Leo!" I said.

"Where are you going?" He asked.

"Mads. I need to talk to him." I said. Before trying to walk away. Leo stopped me by my arm.

"Did you not hear anything I just said Adrika? You can't be around him. He can smell changes in you." He said. Suddenly I felt rage inside me.

"I have been in situations worse than this. I have seen enough blood to handle a little cut. Now leave me if you know what's good for you." I said.

         I instantly felt sorry. He was just looking out for me. He left my hand. I decided I would mend things with him latter. I walked towards the bar. I looked for Sky. He was talking to a group of people and didn't notice me. I stopped in front of Mads. He looked at me confused but hold out a hand. I give mine to him so that he could pull me to a high chair.

"I said we will talk tomorrow." He said.

"How about you order me a drink first?" I said.

"A cosmopolitan for the lady." He said to the guy. "Why are you here?"

"It's my party. I can be with who ever I want." I said.

"Adrika!" He said looking around for anyone unusual.

"Ok fine. I don't wanna meet people today. Leo was talking nonstop about that stupid project. I need to escape from him." I said while taking a sip of my drink. "Then I thought what would be the best option than my very old friend."

"We aren't friends. You are my kuwari and I need to protect you." He said.

"Why you did it? Why you choose this life?" I asked.

"Because it is the best decision for me and you are the best thing that happened to me." He said confused.

"How can you say that? It's me for whom you are doomed to this life. A life without choices." I said.