Chapter 45- Rock In His Shoe

"W-w-what do you mean abused me?" I could feel my voice crack. Was she lying to me? Could I trust what she was saying?

But what reason would she have to lie to you? And even if she was who else could you ask about it? My head spun trying to rationalize the information I was being given and I could feel a headache forming.

"For presumably years, your mother beat you in private. And because your father worked the majority of the day, he was as ignorant as everyone else."

I sat back in my chair to process what I've just been told. Ms. Amber grabbed and caressed my hand with a somber expression on her face.

"...Arthur." She stopped.

"...Ms. Amber."

"Yes? What is it Arthur?" I could hear the timidness in her tone, like she was afraid to step on a landmine.

"Could you tell me what she was like? What was my mother like?"

"Her personality is what made the news of her abuse so alarming. For the years I knew Ms. Price, she was a kind and gentle woman who cherished you more than anything else. She looked so serene when taking care of you and Mary. She was always patient and understanding to everyone. The only time I'd ever see her lose her temper is when a maid or butler would do something to potentially endanger you two."

I looked at her deep in the eyes. "Can you tell me why everyone is sworn into secrecy? Why is no one allowed to talk about her?"

Ms. Amber hesitated. "I don't know the current situation of the mansion, but from what I remember, after arresting her, your father was so enraged by what she had done that he took down all photos of your mother in it and everyone was forbidden from uttering her name. Rage was obviously a factor in this decision but the goal was to have you forget your bad experiences with her so you wouldn't be held back in life suffering from trauma."

She looked at me with pitiable eyes. "Although clearly there were some unintentional side effects."

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"Well your mother was a large part of your childhood, naturally. I'm not a psychologist, so I can't say with one hundred percent certainty, but I imagine because she was so ingrained in your life, the more you forgot about her, the more the memories of your early life faded. At least, that would explain why you can't remember anything."

...I guess it makes sense, although that's not exactly reassuring. Not being able to remember anything is painful when everyone is constantly talking about past events. Not to mention I'm not able to discern truth from lies.

"I'm so sorry Arthur. I know this can't be easy for you to take in. You may not even believe it, which is fine."

"No, no, I believe you." I said. "It's just...everything is such a surprise. Before today I didn't even know I had a mother and now I'm being told all of this." I scratched my hair and laughed nervously. "It's just alot is all."

"Yeah, I imagine so. This would be hard on anyone, especially someone as young as you are."

I don't think someone my age should be battling Amazon women, oversized ligers or guys with law bending abilities, but it is what it is.

"Well," I said in an exaggerated tone. "I think I've definitely overstayed my welcome. I should probably be going."

She nodded. "Thank you for visiting."

I looked at her. She was definitely tired.

"I'll try to visit you sooner."

She smiled. "I'd like that."