Chapter 45

Jeongguk

My mind was reeling. I could barely believe what I was hearing and while I knew that I should not be here, I couldn't tear myself away.

"W—why do I... miss him?" Her voice, thick with tears and anguish, echoed down to where I was standing, hidden behind a life-sized statue of some saint.

My heart was a mixture of euphoric celebration and pain. The girl — woman — I loved with every ounce of my being still cared about me. She still loved me and even missed me. I wanted to run to her, scoop her up of the floor, wipe the tears from her face, and tell her that I'd only ever belonged to her; that she was the one; that if she was willing to take me back, I'd cherish her for as long as I lived.

But how could I? Even though she still had feelings for me, she loved her fiancé and she probably loved him more. The only reason she was feeling like this was because I'd shown up for the wedding and screwed everything up, like I usually did when it came to her. If I went in there and told her, I'd just make everything worse. If I did that, then she'd really have to choose.

And, if I was being completely honest, I didn't really want to know who she'd pick.

Because... I didn't think it would be me.

Ugh, I thought, massaging my forehead. I really need to get drunk. Get all of this off of my mind.

I pushed myself away from the wall and shuffled back to where I'd came from, doing my best to be stealthy and keep the statue between myself and the people I'd been spying on. Luckily, I managed to reach the end unscathed, opening to door to our "dressing room."

Seven pairs of curious eyes greeted me, accompanied by several smirks. I rolled my eyes and slumped down in an empty chair.

"So, did you talk to her?" Namjoon asked, one eyebrow slightly raised.

"What? No, I just went to the bathroom," I lied. Ugh, can't you guys just let me wallow in peace?

"You sure? You were gone for a while...," Jimin said, a suggestive smirk on his face.

"I was taking a dump," I grumbled, burying my face in my hands. "Can you guys stop being so nosy?"

I stood up again and stomped out of the room. God, please help me find some alcohol.

Jane May

We were all lining up, getting ready for the wedding to start. All the guests were already inside and there was a pleasant hum of chatter coming from the closed double doors that lead to the sanctuary. I was looking around rather frantically for Jeongguk, since, well, he was supposed to be walking down the aisle with me, but I couldn't see him anywhere.

A small part of me thought about calling him, since I still had his number saved — assuming he hadn't changed it of course — but thankfully I caught a glimpse of him sitting on the steps to the balcony before I could do anything drastic.

I walked over to him quickly, ignoring the butterflies that erupted in my stomach as he looked up at me, his face crinkling into the sweetest smile as he saw me.

"Hey, sexy."

I froze, my pulse quickening. "W—what?"

His eyes narrowed. "I bet you've been having fun with that dopey little fiancé of yours, but does he know about everything I did to you? Does he know how badly you wanted me? How you still do? Does he know how close you were to letting me fu—"

"Jeongguk!" I hissed, looking around, my cheeks beet red. "Lower your gosh darned voice!"

"What if I don't want to?" he countered, glaring at me.