Chapter 38

SAGE'S POV

This fling took sooooooooooooooo looong!!!!!!!! I spent seven hours stunk inside Francesco's helicopter with the pilot and a co-pilot(I'm not sure if this is right or not but every site I went said a different flying duration so bare with me please). We reached Mississippi at eleven in the morning, by Boston's time and ten in the morning by Mississippi's time. Dwain had already booked us three rooms in a five-star hotel not so far from the retirement home. We landed on the hotel's roof and after that, we went to our rooms and sleep the day away.

I sleep for five hours and after that, I couldn't sleep anymore the wheelchair race is tomorrow and until then I have nothing more to do!

"I'm hungry. Maybe I should order some room service." I ponder out loud.

"Dwain's the one paying anyway, so why not?" I happily skip towards the room's phone and order room service. I decided to order something called crepes. My crepes come with chocolate, banana, and vanilla ice cream, to accompany a fruit salad and something called oreo milkshake.

"Yum! These crepes are very yummy!" I eat the crepes and the fruit and order a second dose of crepes. The milkshake is a bit too sweet for my taste but I drink it anyway.

Once my belly is full I lay down on the bed and watch tv for a little bit. Soon and without meaning to I fall asleep.

-- Next morning --

I wake up at eight in the morning and the first thing I did was order breakfast. Today I decided to try a different type of milkshake, I decided to try a mint and chocolate milkshake alongside crepes filled with nutella, two scoops of vanilla ice cream with banana and apple slices on the side.

So freaking yummy!

I finish eating and get dressed. The race is at half-past ten and it's currently a quarter to nine so I decided to head there a bit early.

-- One hour later... --

Heading there early my ass!

First I had to call a taxi, second, the driver got lost and then we got stuck in the fucking traffic!

I finally reached the local of the race, and let me tell you, this place is fucking packed.

I can see Major Murray with an old man in a wheelchair suppose that must be his uncle. I survey the area and see lots of military men and women, some are retired, some are big families who come to watch the race and help the cause, besides the military, there are also many other people. The race is about to start and so, I make my way towards the bet's table. On my way to the table I, see a small old lady in a wheelchair with the number 67 on her shirt. She has a few scars on her face but she still looks pretty nice for a reformed soldier, she seems shy, her legs are missing and she's accompanied by a few younger women, two men an,d a few children. I can't help but listen to what they're saying.

"I'm not sure if I can do this. What if I fall, what if I fail? I want to help the children but I'm not confident enough to do this." The old lady starts crying with nerves and the people around her quickly start reassuring her.

"Mama, you can do it." One of the women tells her.

"Don't give up mama, we're here for you." The youngest looking men say and kiss his crying mother on the forehead.

"Even if you don't win, we'll still be proud of you mom." The four women and two men say at the same time.

"Besides, we know that you can do it, grandma. You trained hard." A young boy, maybe ten years old tells the old lady and hugs her. The other three children follow his lead and hug their grandma.