Sad Reality

The funeral seemed to go by so fast. Valerie, our mom, and I basically always stuck to Sharon the entire time, holding her and consoling her.

The tissue box seemed to be past around the room at least 30 times throughout the service, there was not one dry face inside the church.

It was crazy how we were just celebrating a Church Anniversary here to now grieving a lost life that left to soon.

Calvin never would have the chance to show the world his dreams, talents or abilities. He would never be able to walk across the stage obtaining his diploma and punching a fist in the air, full of fulfillment, hope and dreams.

He was robbed. An innocent child, robbed of life before it could really begin.

I wiped my eyes as the tears continued to blur my vision and as I watched my mother shed not one tear, I almost knew she was made of iron.

She fanned herself and nodded as the preacher would talk about the best moments he had with Calvin. Although she would occasionally hold Sharon and kiss her face, I didn't understand it at all. This was her grandson, she watched him and wrapped him up as a baby. She was the one who always seemed to want to know how he was doing and making sure he had the best. How did she have no tears to shed for his life?

As I stared at her with a bit of anger and frustration, she looked at me and squeezed my hand before looking back at the pastor.

I sighed out of frustration before glancing at Sharon again who's face was now buried in my mother's shoulder, crying profusely.

My mother just kissed her head and whispered words so low that I couldn't make out what she said.

As I looked at the obituary, I noticed that Kevin's name was mentioned as the biological father, but nothing else about how he spent time with Calvin, ensuring him a happy life.

Surprisingly, some of Kevin's family was here, like his Aunt, mom, and his uncle, who I saw once in Calvin's baby photos that Sharon would send to me in New York.

But Kevin, himself was no where to be found surprisingly. 

I wiped my eyes again as his small, smiling face appeared in my mind. I hated that I didn't make the effort to be around him more, why did I have to be so removed from my family...from him, he needed me too.

Even though I blame my mother's ludicrous decisions she made while I was young of good reason to cut off most contact with everyone, as I saw the small body laying the casket before my eyes reality dawned on me, family was really all that mattered.

What in life was more important than that?

I wiped my eyes as I looked at my sister, Valerie sitting on the other side of Sharon leaning their heads together, squeezing each others hands.

Death seemed to be a redundant factor that warranted families to come together, to see each other. A sad reality.

I knew after this service, I would most likely not see anyone of these people in my life after this day. They would go back to being the judgmental side of the family and the rest of us would too.

I grabbed a fan from a seat beside me and fanned myself as my heart and soul ached for my family. 

***
After service, everyone drove to my mom and her husband's house. I helped serve the guests until everyone had a plate before serving myself. Since everyone had taken a spot at the dinner table, I had no choice but to eat in the living room. 

Alone with my thoughts. 

I pondered about different things as I tried to eat something. Jake and Kevin's strange absence.