Jack Of All Trades

Calvin jumped for glee as I told him about the exciting activity we were doing today. "Horses, I always wanted to ride one Aunt Kendra, thank you so much!" he yelled running around in circles in his room, trying to throw on his red t-shirt and jeans his mother laid out for him. I hugged him, he was such a sweetie. 

He wasn't like other children I knew, he appreciated the small the things in his life, maybe because of the trauma and suffering he endured made him understand things that some adults didn't learn till late in life. The way he smiled and jumped up and down, no one would guess the internal pain he's endured. I believe what amazes me the most about Calvin is how he doesn't let his circumstances keep him down. He still was sad sometimes when he saw other kids playing when he could not, but he was never like that for more than an hour. 

He pulled on his spiderman shoes and tied them up. I smiled as I rubbed his head. "Well, Calvin...you're much braver than me, I've always wanted to ride a horse, but I was too afraid of how big they are." I revealed to him. He responded with a slight smile. "Aunt really, horses are big, but they're nice creatures...when I was in school, we got to pet one on a field trip to a farm." he said standing up straight, looking me in my eyes. I smiled in return, I and his mother Sharon hated the fact that he wasn't enrolled anymore because of the episodes and complications that were frequent with him, and we both knew he missed it too. His mom told me she allowed him to visit his friends from school and that he loved that. 

I placed on my shades as we walked outside to the car, and when Sharon finally got done with her long makeup process, we hit the road on our way to get horse-riding lessons for Calvin. When we pulled up we didn't notice a lot of other vehicles, just a few dirt bikes and a huge Ford truck sitting on monster sized wheels. Sharon took a picture of it as we walked past it. I didn't understand why some white guys felt like it was so important to have a huge truck. Maybe it made them feel manlier and more southern or maybe it made up for other places they lacked...

Either way, it looked ridiculous to me. 

We followed the dirt trail past the wall and through a huge archway, and saw it was a very open area, so open we realized we were back outside. I took off my shades and looked around for anyone to help us.

Sharon and Calvin walked up to the fence and looked around, scanning the place as I did

Sharon and Calvin walked up to the fence and looked around, scanning the place as I did. Suddenly, I saw an older white male wearing a white cowboy style hat on his head leading a brown horse across the grass towards some huge stables. I waved my hand in the air. "Sir, excuse me!" I yelled. He turned around and smiled at me and waved back. I sighed as he kept walking the horse into the stable. 

Was he the only one who worked here?  I thought to myself as I glanced around, seeing no sign of another human being. 

I walked up to the fence beside Calvin and Sharon. "So, I guess he's the only one here...this place seems vacant." I said to Sharon who was on her phone, texting Kevin, no doubt. "Really, Sharon...can you like not do that, let's just focus on Calvin, and by the way you wouldn't have to contact him if his skinny butt was here with his son anyway." I said rolling my eyes, sick of Kevin's antics. He didn't care that much about Calvin. As long as I've been here he hasn't visited just to spend time with him alone, but always to see what Sharon was up to and to command and control her however he pleased. I shook my head as Sharon ignored me and kept on texting on her phone.