My Goodbye

I breathed my last breath of the Texas hot and dry air as I walked hand in hand with Jake toward the airport. All I toted was my carry-on since I decided to ship the rest of my luggage to my apartment in New York. 

We entered the front swivel door and I quickly looked up for my flight on the Departure screen to New York. It felt surreal as I stood inside the airport. I could feel my emotions going berserk in my heart and stomach like a roller coaster ride. 

Who knew the guy I coincidentally met at work and on the airplane would now be the one I held in my heart and the one seeing me off. 

But even after all that blossomed between us, a piece of me still wondered

'How long is he willing to wait?'

I felt a light squeeze on my hand before glancing up at him. 

"It's time, your flight is about to depart in less than an hour." 

I sighed as we walked toward the airport's X-ray machine.

"Time really waits for no one...it still feels like you just came home." Sharon said as she walked up beside me. 

I looked around the airport, wondering if she was going to show her face one last time, but I saw no one.

I got in line, making short promises  to my sister like "I'll call you as soon as I land" and other promises of coming back to which Jake smiled about. 

After going through the scanner, I stopped to say my goodbyes to them both before heading onto the plane.

"I'm really going to miss you." Jake said, rubbing his rough thumb across my smooth skin. He pulled me into his warm, strong arms and squeezed me so tight. I smiled in his arms and I knew that this time apart would be the biggest test of our relationship.

I looked up at him and leaned in to kiss him, but was rudely interrupted by a voice.

"Well, I think that can wait after you hug your mother goodbye Kendra." 

I swung my head around to see her standing in casual clothes for the first time. Nothing fit and formal, just a casual white tee with dark wash jeans and beige gucci flip flops.

I smiled and was a little surprised that she wanted to show her face still.

"I'm not going to hold you up, but I know I had to come see you before you left...God knows when you will return to us next time, well, I guess at least you have one more reason now to return," she threw a hintful glance at Jake before laughing.

She pulled my hands into hers before continuing,

"I'm sorry doesn't fix anything and I should've been said those words to you, but I love you and I am so proud of the woman you have become and still is growing into...despite the hiccups, I know God is watching over your steps, don't forget us this time, we love you and want to see you again soon, promise us that." she hugged me before sighing and placing her shades on to hide her eyes that became glossy all of a sudden. 

"Mom, I promise I'll be back...hopefully we will one day be in a better space with time." I said to her.

"Yes with time." she said before Sharon hugged my neck.

"Call me when you land!" she said, before wiping tears away.

I felt so horrible to be leaving her after she just suffered a tragic loss. I smiled at her with eyes that began to burn as the tears fell.

"I'm sorry...I wish I could stay with you longer." I whispered as I hugged her.

I felt her lips turn upward as her arms circled around me tightly.

"I'm so glad I got to see my sister again after so many years...I'm glad you knew to come home...just when I needed you the most in my life, you showed up and that's what matters most to me, Kay."

The announcer came over the speakers and called my flight that was departing shortly and calling for the last people to board.

I let go of my sister's embrace, and without missing a beat he scooped me into a deep goodbye kiss. I smiled as I could feel the acceleration of both our hearts, making one rhythmic beat.

"Girl you better hurry your butt up before you miss your plane back home!" Sharon jest.

We laughed.

I felt a ping of guilt as I looked up into his blue eyes for reassurance.

'Am I making the right choice?'

"Call me when you land, and try not to overthink everything...I believe this will only make us stronger." Jake said, before hugging me once more before I broke away and boarded the flight.

I sighed as I finally sat down and the plane was beginning to take off.

I opened my laptop to begin reading all the meeting notes I missed while away.

I knew as soon as I landed, my feet would have to get quickly back into the swing of the fast paced, corporate world.

As I gazed at the beautiful sunset in the clouds, I wondered where and what he was doing right now.

Even though our parting was bittersweet, I hoped it would give me the confirmation I needed.

Was our love really strong enough?

(HIIII, PLEASE FOLLOW ME FOR FUTURE UPDATES ON THE SECOND BOOK! YOU DONT WANT TO MISS ALL THE NEW DRAMA AND CHARACTERS) ❤️ READ YOU SOON!