Sunday Morning Part 2

Here's the second part. I had to split it because it was very long, thanks for your patience and enjoy!!!

                                                                                           ***

The church looked the exact same as I had left when I was little, it was always big and beautiful. Our church was located on the good side of town away from all the bad neighborhoods.

We all walked up to the church, I looked up at the banner that displayed the name and Church Anniversary on it as we made our way in the building.

The front area had a receptionist area, there two middle-aged black women welcomed and smiled at us as we strolled in.

"Wow." Jake said as he looked all-around at the high glass ceilings and the two curved staircases on both sides of the door we stood in front of.

The two ushers who were one man and a nicely well-dressed woman stood on opposite sides opened the doors for us, gesturing us with their white gloves on to enter into the sanctuary.

I remember when I was a little girl, being so fascinated and pondered why they had on those white gloves.

They were always clean and those people seemed to know how to handle the busy traffic and every conflict that arose in the sanctuary.

There were long rows of people standing up as the worship team in the choir stand was singing beautifully.

Instead of sitting in the back as I'd hoped, Sharon led us all the down into the church aisle, three rows from the front to be exact, and when I saw a woman with a large beige church hat and church outfit to match stand up to greet Sharon with a kiss that's when I knew it had to be someone familiar in the church. 

As Sharon sat down and I made my way to meet her I noticed who it was right away!

"Hello Kendra, glad you could join us today." my mother said cordially to me, nodding her head in approval.

I smiled without saying anything and just decided to just grab my seat. 

Her husband, Philip, who had just walked in with a golden brown suit to match my mom's outfit smiled at me and waved as he too took his seat beside her on her right. 

I greeted him nicely with a smile.

"Hello mam." Jake greeted my mother.

He went to hug her but stopped when she flinched away, but smiled at him with distaste in her hazel eyes.

She shook his hand and Philip did as well, but more enthusiastically and sincere before Jake sat down next to me.

My mom looked at me with a fire burning in her cold brown eyes, but she didn't open her mouth to express what she wanted to in church.