Real Talk~

"Yeah, well I am so sick and tired of him bullying you." I spat into the phone as Jake was fixing a broken doorknob beside me. 

Sharon was complaining about how Kevin wouldn't give her the keys to her car after they got into a huge fight about her wanting to quit working with him and his illegal endeavors.

"He dropped her off at home and didn't give her the keys until she promised him she would keep working with him." I whispered to Jake, covering the mic of the phone. 

He shook his head as the wind brushed against his brown hair causing it to spike up some. 

He was hatless today and we both were enjoying a mini date outside in the middle of a park that was just an open field with a few benches and tall grass. As he worked on fixing a sparkling glass doorknob from his house. I was multi-tasking between trying to be a supportive sister and reviewing the contacts that my secretary sent me that could help with appealing the collection and construction of Jacob's family heirloom. 

As I reviewed one of the attorneys that specialized in helping clients who were threatened with being foreclosed. He was located down here in Texas but toward the north. I looked at his costs and luckily, he offered a flat rate...depending on the complexity of the case. 

I sat back as Sharon continued to ramble and thought on how I could represent his case in such a straightforward way, that the attorney would not completely notice upfront all the hills and valleys he would have to go through to help. 

I knew that was wishful thinking because the guy, whose name was Michael Stanley, had over 10 years of experience and graduated from Harvard with a Masters in law. 

I sighed as I leaned on Jake who was digging in his small bag of tools, as I pondered on how to make it affordable. 

Then I heard someone yelling my name, and as I looked down at my phone I quickly picked it up.

"I am so sorry gir-

"No, it's fine I know you're trying to enjoy the time you have left with Jacob...he's taking it pretty well so far." she said, changing her menacing tone to a more inquiring one. 

I know she was indirectly asking did I mention it, but my pride did not want to be bombarded with guilt. 

"Yeah, he is...he's understanding," I said, glancing at the man in a white muscle shirt and dirty jeans with stains of oil and such that revealed his commitment to his work.  

He finally laid the doorknob down and a big grin was plastered on his face. 

I knew he was satisfied with his hard work paying off. 

His blue eyes sparkled with pride as he held the shining diamond-shaped knob up in the air with one hand as if it was a trophy or Olympic medal. 

I smiled at his enthusiasm.  

"Finally, I revived the knob my mother had always wanted to have on the doors in the house, one down...only four more to go." he said, as he grabbed a rusted diamond knob out of a small vanilla colored box on the ground that was filled with the other knobs that begged for restoration. 

"Oh that's brave of you, he must be confident in your relationship then...you know a lot of people do not take well with long-distance, and you'll be on the other side of the country, wow." she said in a worried tone as if she did not believe my statement. 

"Yeah...about Kevin, he can't keep treating you as a prisoner, it's not worth it-"

"Yes it's easy to say that, but I have Calvin to think about, and he needs a father-"