1.26

Hera broke out in a sigh as she stepped on their front door, not bothering to raise her head as she trudged in the direction of the staircase.

The word fiancé didn't leave her mind the moment she heard it, along with Siyeon's smiles and Jaemin's tensed pheromones.

Are they engaged? She never knew. And she wanted to know the truth.

A sudden bump made her rip out of her suffocating thoughts. Looking up, she saw Jaehyun with his cold stares boring on her.

The siblings remained in eye contact for awhile until he passed by, his shoulder brushing against her.

Pouting, Hera reached for his hand, making him stop.

"I'm sorry. Can we talk?"

A deep sigh escaped from his lips, and he only nodded, yet enough to bring a smile to the omega's face.

The siblings sat beside each other on the kitchen counters, silently drinking their glass of milk—one habit that they had shared since they were kids.

"You're absent again," she softly said, not wanting to get on his bad side. "Are you still mad?"

"I don't know; what do you think?"

It made her lips shut in a thin line, and she just decided to shut up.

Jaehyun sighed for the umpteenth time and brought his glass back down on the countertop. "Do you like him?"

"Oh?" Hera looked at him, not expecting the question. "Yeah? I guess," she mumbled.

"Cool," he nodded as his fingers played the glass rim. "Did he take good care of you?"

The omega nodded. "Do you hate me for that?"

"Not you," he started. "I hate him for building up a bad reputation for himself. I hate myself for treating you like this," he sighed. "I never meant to scare you."

And that is the worst thing that happened to him these past few days. Guilt was building up as he continuously felt her scared pheromones once they happened to see each other around the house. Hera is purposely hiding so that she won't be able to bump into him.

He felt terrible, yet he can't bring himself to calm down whenever he remembers that day.

Even though his mother has already talked to him, he still can't accept it.

"I understand," Hera smiled. "I'm sorry for getting scared."

"It's my fault."

"No, it's mine."

They looked at each other for a moment, and a laugh erupted not long after.

The uncomfortable tension is long gone, and their pheromones are setting a calming tone around them.