CHAPTER 5

CORA      

I did not sleep a wink last night. I ended going to bed late. I had to run to the clinic because of an emergency, therefore I ended up staying up late to do homework. I didn't eat dinner until almost one am.

I was so tired, but sleep did not come easily. I kept thinking about Max. Why did I react the way I did? Why did I smell such an aroma off him and why was I the only one who could smell it? Eventually my eyes got heavy and darkness fell upon me. Yet, my sleep was not dreamless.

My grandmother has been telling me crazy stories since I was child. As I got older, the stories seemed ridiculous. This was the first time that I had dreamed of her stories, and so vividly.

Hundreds of years ago, a witch fell in love with a werewolf. He was an enormously powerful and admired Alpha. Many wanted to be mated with him, but werewolves only have one true and fated mate. He was mated to another witch and loved her very much and cherished her deeply.

The witch was angry that the Alpha did not love her in return. In her anger, she cursed the Alpha's family blood line. There would never be born a female child nor would a child born be Were again.

The Alpha was furious that the witch cursed his family, so he had the witch torn to pieces and then burned. The covens from neighboring towns came together to cast a spell hoping to break the curse. But it was no use. So instead, they prayed to a higher power.

Dear Goddess of the Moon and Heavens, we pray to thee and ask of you to grant our wish. When a female child is born of your worthiness, please grant that child to break this curse. Allow her to bring forth a child of a powerful Alpha to carry on the bloodlines and rule with a strong and kind hand. We thank thee Moon Goddess for listening to our prayers.

Many, many years went by and only Wereless-sons were born. Until finally one day, a daughter was born. Her family's pack rejoiced in her birth. She was so beautiful even though she was born normal. Or so they thought. Her parents were extremely thrilled that she showed signs that her great grandmother's blood was flowing through her veins. She held the gift of empathy and foresight.

But the pack's happiness was short lived as many did not want her to grow up and be mated for fear that she would be too powerful. They rebelled and tried to kill the child. The family had to the leave the pack and move far way.

I awoke in a cold sweat. I felt as if I was living this terrible nightmare. Like I was there when this curse was laid upon these people. I could hear the chants of the witches. Then I saw myself as a child with a woman above my crib, she was glowing and smiling. I wasn't sure if it was a dream or a memory. Either way, I felt like this was somehow all related to me.

I notice the time on the clock read four thirty in the morning. I still had two hours to get some more sleep before school. I plopped back down on my pillows and shuffled into a comfortable position. Again, my sleep wasn't dreamless.

I am running in the woods and stop near a stream. I sit upon a big rock to soak up the sun and listen to the birds singing in the trees. I hear footsteps off in the distance, but I can tell it is not human steps.

I slide off the rock and wait for the creature to make itself known. A black wolf with the bluest of eyes emerges from the trees off in the distance. I recognized it as the wolf I spent time with this summer.

When he got closer, I noticed something, a sweet erotic aroma. I do not remember him having that smell before. As he continues his approach, he slowly starts to change. His paws are now hands, his fur turns into black bed hair, four legs become two, and the face that now holds those eyes is...Max!