CHAPTER 11

MAX

Over the weekend, I went back to Cora's again. On Saturday she wasn't home. Turned out she was work. I didn't realize her clinic was so close to the pack ranch. It was only about a ten minutes' drive outside the gates. The ranch is on the outside of town, away from the humans. The ranch is around two hundred plus acres. The main house holds those who do not have a mate of their own. It also holds the main offices, meeting quarters, and the pack library. The house also has the main kitchen and dining area for the pack who live at the ranch. My family has its own house that sits fifty yards away from the main house. On the ranch there are roughly around a hundred or so houses. We are building all the time for newly mated couples.

Like I said earlier, not everyone lives at the ranch. Yet we manage to keep our existence hidden from the humans. We have managed this for many of years. The Wolfs Crest Pack has existed for over two hundred years. It started out small, now we are nearly a thousand plus members. Every year we grow and get stronger. One thing that helps keeps the ranch hidden is the woods that surround Wolfs Crest.

When I learned that her clinic was so close to our ranch, I was surprised. Not very many businesses exist this way. I figured she would have the clinic more towards the center of town. It takes me forty-five minutes to get to school every day. So, I know it takes her awhile to get to and from work.

There is a burger joint across from her clinic called Rucker's. I hid out there while she was working. I know, creeper move. But as her mate, my need to protect her is in the forefront.

Charles and Charla, the owners, and members of the pack, kept asking why I was hanging around. I knew I could trust them with the news of finding my mate. Charles was a retired warrior and Charla was his mate. Charla was human and would understand fully my situation.

"Alpha Max that is wonderful news," Charla says gleefully. "She is such a sweet girl."

With a raised a brow, I ask, "You know her?"

"Oh yes Alpha Max. She comes here all the time," she replies.

"She never orders anything with meat," Charles adds.

"That is not true. She eats the chicken strips all the time," Charla states with rolled eyes.

"I must have missed that."

Charla snorts. "You miss a lot of things. You work the grill not the front. Plus, you are getting old. Just this morning you forgot where you put your shorts."

"So? What does that have to do with anything?" Charles grunts.

She huffs with a crossing of her arms. "You were wearing them you big dumb wolf." I chuckled. That is bad. How can you not realize you are wearing your shorts?

He points his finger at Charla, shaking it at her face. "Listen here woman. See if I cook for you ever again for making fun of me."

"Yeah well—" I knew I had to stop this. This could go on all day.

I put my hands up for surrender. "Okay, okay. Either way, I do need a favor from you." When I had their full attention, I continued. "You can't under any circumstances, tell anyone about her or tell her about me. No one knows yet." Charla's eyes widen in surprise.

"How can they not Alpha Max?"

"For her safety. And she doesn't know because I haven't told her. I literally just found her. I am taking my time as to not scare her off." They nodded their heads in agreement.

She worked long hours today. It was extremely dark before she emerged from the building. I trailed behind her for the thirty-minute drive. I parked a few houses down and waited until she had entered her house before settling in for the night. I then headed home to get some sleep of my own.