CHAPTER 18

MAX

As I entered Cora's room, I found her scrubbing the carpet. "Hey, you okay?"

She looks up at me irritated. "It isn't coming out no matter how hard I scrub it. Ugh!" she grunts, throwing the brush down. She then gets up and throws herself down on her bed.

I chuckle at her outburst. "I am sure we can get it clean. Just take a break." I sit down next to her.

She raised her head slightly, asking, "Can I ask you a question?" I responded with a hum. "Why did you come back here?" How do I answer this?

"I left my phone and when I pulled up, I noticed your front door opened. Worried, I came running in and the rest is history." Please let her believe me.

"Ah. Did you find your phone?"

"Yeah. It was in between the couch cushions." I laughed.

She too in return laughs. "I swear that couch eats things. It has eaten my keys, my phone, even money. I kid you not, it eats clothes. I took a nap once and woke up without socks. I found them inside the couch."

"Nice." I chuckled.

"Max." I hummed again. "Can you stay the night. I don't want to be alone," she asks in a whisper.

"Of course, babe. You don't even need to ask," I say to her with a smile. "I will always be here for you whenever you need me."

"Thank you, Max. I appreciate it. I still have a few of my dad's t-shirts you can borrow. I think I may have a pair of gym shorts that might fit," she says, as she goes into her closet. She comes out a few minutes later with a black shirt and grey shorts. "You can change in the bathroom."

I head to the bathroom to change. Of course, I got a little nosy. I notice she doesn't use real perfume. It's more of a body spray. She still has her dad's cologne on the counter. Guess some things are hard to get rid of. Most girls at the pack house have make-up everywhere, she has hardly any. I don't even see a hair dryer. She really is a simple girl. I like that.

I change into the shirt and shorts which fit perfectly. Her dad must have been a big guy. I walk back into the bedroom to find that she has changed as well. I guess that was to be expected since she did have blood on her. She was now wearing a blue wife beater and black gym shorts.

"Which side do you want? I usually sleep in the middle, but whichever is comfortable for you." She smiles a little uncomfortable.

I smile back at her with the sincerest of smiles. "The left. I always put my left leg out of the blanket." She gasps then giggles.

"I always put my right leg out. This works out perfectly. I need to check and make sure everything is locked up tight again."

We walked around all the doors and windows, that was when we found the hole cut into the glass. Damn wolves and their sharp nails. Like I got room to talk. I was able to cover the hole and put something in the window track so no one can open the window again. I will have to have someone replace the window tomorrow.

Once back in the bedroom, we each crawled under the covers. I stayed on my side even though I wanted to hold her and fall asleep with her in my arms. I laid down on my back with my right arm tucked under my head. She first was on her right side then switched to her back. She huffed then again switched to her left side. I turned my head to look at her. Her eyes were closed telling me she was trying to sleep.

"You okay?"

"Just restless. I guess I am still riled up is all."

"Do you want to watch some tv maybe?" That always helped me relax. That and relaxing in the ranch's healing pools.