CH-13 THE DOOR OF FIRE AND EARTH (PART-2)

PHOEBE

*

A mirror. Phoebe stares at her reflection in the orange-tinted mirror. She has a sudden urge to pluck out the phoenix feather from her bun. She matches the colour of the feather to the frame of the mirror. Both of them are a gem-like orange with a deep red hidden inside.

Phoebe touches the mirror and that feeling of warmth fills her up again. It is very different from the mirror in the hotel. While that was icy this one is... cozy. When she looks in it again, she observes a vast green land. It's the town park. And as she moves closer, Phoebe notices herself but when she was fourteen, doing cheer practice with Leah and the other girls.

"I wish we could do this all day instead of sitting in the boring classes." The young Phoebe inside the mirror complains to her best friend.

Leah nods in agreement. "I know! I have to go for my Bio tuition in half an hour." Her friend chimes in.

"Skip it. Tell your mom we have an event or something in a week." Phoebe tells her.

"That's what I told her the last time. I need another excuse." Says Leah.

Phoebe gives it a thought and replies, "Hmm...you had an accident! You missed it cause you fell from your bike."

Leah raises an eyebrow to her and asks, "And where are my bruises?"

Phoebe gives a wicked smirk and takes out a blue eyeshadow from her bag.

After they are done with the bruises, Phoebe clears her throat and commands the girls to form their positions. Every single one of them adheres to Phoebe's orders.

No matter how many parties or places she had snuck out to with her friends. No matter how many times she drove Mom's car for a night drive, this would remain her favourite memory. Forgetting everybody else, and just cheerleading with her group. She loved it when she did it for the first time at the age of fourteen, and she loves it now as well.

However, the scene fades away and black marks start to imprint themselves on the mirror.

"No! No! What's happening?" Phoebe's shouts echo against the room.

"Destruction." An ashy female voice whispers in her ears. She looks around but finds no sign of the voice.

"Destroy your love." The voice tells her but this time, a waft of black smoke passes her by.

"Can these ghosts just stop? What the hell even are you?" Phoebe questions the spirit.

"The Bride of Inferno. The Mother of the first Fire Duke. The Daughter of Lava. The Spirit of Ashes my husband named his title after. They call me Mistress Cenire." Her gritty voice travels through Phoebe's ears.

"I don't care about that. Tell me what the task is." She asks her hurriedly.

"Destroy the love. Or let me destroy it for you." Mistress Cenire finishes with a hiss.

"What love are you talking about? I didn't see- " Phoebe shuts up when the smoke spreads out to show the scene in the mirror again.

"Destroy the love or let me destroy it for you." The Mistress repeats.

Tears start rolling down Phoebe's face. She cannot forget that memory. It's hers.

She tries to find more solutions but none comes to her mind. She needs to forget that memory. She has to.

"You do it." She tells the spirit as her back faces the mirror and wipes the tears away.

The black smoke forms into a woman with long black hair, a dark face, and blood-red eyes. Mistress Cenire drags her orange cloak and starts swaying her hands in front of the mirror. Phoebe can't help but notice those black marks completely covering the scene.