CH-4 THE MIRROR

I quickly take out my hand out of this godforsaken mirror. I don't scream, I just freeze. My brain cannot process all of this. This definitely has to be a dream or a hoax or something.

But it's not. No matter how many times I say to myself it's not real. The dreams, the girl-they all make sense now, well not totally- but there is some link between these things.

I get away from the mirror and lie on my bed. I never believed in magic, but now seeing this.......

I can still see the mirror illuminating when my hand went through it. I know I should tell someone about this, but how? And who?

Phoebe will say I'm crazy, Rachel will think I'm crazy, even if she won't say it, and Mom would tell me to stop joking. But there is one other person, who will not judge me or call me mad- Aunt Claire.

I decide to sleep on it and just hope that more dreams won't come.

*

Mom wakes me up and hurriedly says, "C'mon now! We need to be ready in half an hour."

I slowly open my eyes and see her amber eyes staring at me. I turn to the other side and request, "Two minutes more,"

My Mom sighs and says, "Well, guess I've got to take your books away."

I quickly open my eyes and repeatedly say, "I'm up! I'm up!"

I notice Coco still sleeping, happily snoring. I walk to the bathroom and notice the dreaded mirror in front of me.

"Everything fine?" She asks when she sees me suddenly stop. I quickly nod and run to the bathroom.

I get out of the shower and change myself into a long dark blue dress. When I come out of the bathroom, I see Rachel with Coco in her hands, who is now awake.

"Where's Mom?" I ask her.

Rachel nods to the door."In the main room with Aunt and Phoebe."

I pick up the key of the room and notice the book kept on the night table. I quickly grab it and turn to Rachel. "Let's go."

Mom is chatting with Aunt Claire, and Phoebe is on her phone, as usual. Aunt Claire notices me and comments, "You look very pretty."

I smile at her and say, "Thanks, you too."

And I mean it. She is wearing a beautiful champagne coloured dress, unlike Mom, who went straight up black with a gold necklace around her with an orange jewel in the middle.

Phoebe clears her throat, and Aunt Claire says with a smile, "You look beautiful too."

Phoebe simply nods, cause she knew that herself. That's my sister, always the center of attention. Even though I want to say she looks hideous, I can't. She's wearing an amazing long maroon dress with a black and shiny belt around her waist. She stands two inches above me with her stilettos and has a perfect posture.

Mom reaches her hand out to me, and I give her the keys. She notices the book in my hand and raises an eyebrow "Oh c'mon, this is not even my novel. I borrowed it from the study."

Mom's eyes widen. "Without asking?"

I look to Aunt Claire and she instantly understands. "It's okay Selene. If she wants to take the book, let her have it."

I shake my head. "No. After reading I'll keep it back in the study, I promise."

Aunt shrugs and Mom sighs and says, "Fine."

We follow Mom to the hallway and I whisper to Aunt, "Thank you." She smiles and continues down the stairs.

While walking down the sea-green staircase, Aunt Claire explains to us what we're going to do the whole day. "The inauguration ceremony will be rather small and last half an hour. After that, we'll get breakfast from this cute little patisserie near the Palace. Then, if you want to rest, we can do that. For lunch, we'll stay here only, and for dinner, I have a surprise for you."