CH-19 THE VIOLET WAVE (PART-1)

RACHEL

*

"Rachel? Rachel? Rachel!" She turns her back against the window to face Alyssa's piercing black eyes staring down at her. She had been lost in the crickets chirps and ruffling of the trees, hoping Carry had reached her destination safely. Alyssa brings her back to reality. "Rachel, what happened? Where is Caroline?"

Rachel nervously looks around, somber and groggy faces staring at her around a black table painted with strokes of blue, red, green, and grey. The walls are coated with silver and gold. An ivory chandelier above illuminating the whole room. "I...I don't know." Rachel shakily tells her lie.

The fairy throws up her hands in frustration, Ingozi gesturing her to calm down. Flumen steps forwards and says, "Your Majesty, the whole Palace is in disarray. Our guards are searching every nook and corner of this place. And most importantly, Lady Caroline, your sister, is nowhere to be found. You surely must understand the gravity of our situation?"

Rachel nods. "I know but I just don't remember."

Sephone sighs. "Perhaps I could concoct something that will help you refresh your memory? It will take me only an hou-"

"No!" Rachel immediately stops her. "I told Alyssa what I saw. I was hanging out with Caroline and then I saw a purple light outside the window. That's it."

Alyssa pushes Ingozi aside. "That is it? You are forgetting one thing. Caroline!"

Rachel stays silent. Alyssa shakes her head. "Ingozi, alert your spies everywhere, especially near Castle Draconis. Madame Sephone, I believe we should continue our work with the spirits. This time involving the Earth Queen. No one outside the Palace should know about this."

Flumen, Sephone, and Samuel glance at each other. "I didn't know that a fairy was suddenly the head of the Council," Samuel states, placing a slight smile on his face. Rachel didn't like him at all. She had tried to be nice to him but he is always so dismissive of all the sisters.

"I am head of the army and the Air Queen's personal guard," Alyssa says proudly.

"I do not recall that being a position in the Elemental Council. The reason you are even given such significant information is because of Queen Alaena's discretion. But giving orders makes me rethink that." He strikes back.

Alyssa grips her wand tightly with black mist appearing on her hand. One more step and Samuel would be done. Her eyes were enough for scaring into someone running miles away.

Ingozi immediately holds her hand, loosening her grip. "Calm down, Samuel, will you? As the head of assassins, I agree with Alys' advice. And I am sure so does Mistress Sephone. Queen Alaena left Manelysse in our hands thinking that we would protect it at any cost. Not for petty squabbles."

Rachel musters up the courage to speak up. "Ingozi is right. And about that discretion thing, Alyssa was there when none of you were. She will always be involved by my discretion. Madame Sephone, I want to meet the spirits. My sisters are gone and someone needs to go out and do something. So, can we go now?" Ferrine nods and lets her out of the room closing the door behind.

Rachel has managed to get out of answering their questions. For now.

-----------

My throat feels like a hot desert under the baking sun. I don't know if the sky is actually red or if the heat just messing up with my brain. I am unable to get up and forced to lie on the burning grass.

I instantly put the two ice cubes still left in my right hand in my mouth. There is a resurgence of relief that washes over me. I still feel the heat but it is now bearable. I manage to stand up and notice Coco licking my leg where the deep wound is still healing.