CH-10 THE CASTLE OF SKY (PART-1)

"Thank you so much. I am getting out of here now." Phoebe moves to turn but Jemime blocks her way. The guards murmur something among each other, but instantly stop when their lady gives them a look.

Her eyes fix on Phoebe's. "You will understand the meaning of this someday. It is time for you to go." Phoebe goes around Jemime and starts walking.

Alyssa nods and glances at us as if to quickly get us out of there. She takes the fire torch from a guard's hand and turns her back to the castle. And so do we all.

"I told you to treat that family with respect." Alyssa angrily says to Phoebe while we're walking through a patch of trees with white and grey leaves.

"Yeah, like that Jemie or whatever her name is, can scare me. By the way, this road is literally nothing." Phoebe says while keeping her head high.

"You don't understand. If you become the Fire Queen of Manelysse, which seems more and more likely, there will always be one family that you will have as your enemy. The passage she was talking about is your journey here, not this road. If a lady of a province denies you safe passage.....just hope that you never enter that place again or even meet anyone from there." Alyssa warns her.

"I am never going back to that shit place ever again," Phoebe replies.

Alyssa shakes her head and hastily walks away from Phoebe. Rachel stays with my sister and murmurs something to her.

I walk up to Alyssa and explain to her, "Look, Phoebe is just really stupid. Just ignore her."

"She doesn't understand what it truly means if you all are queens. It could change so many things." She tells me.

"It could change what?" I ask her.

Her eyes sparkle like shining stars in a night sky as she speaks. "When I am saying we are in a war, I mean a war that depends on restoring the rule of elements. You have seen what the Mistress can do. Without the power of other elements, Manelysse is vulnerable, but now...."

"There is a possibility that we'll not be ...queens?" I ask her, the last word coming out as a squeak.

Alyssa nods and replies, "There is. It is possible that all of you have minor powers. But when I saw you with that dagger...Nevermind, I am not the one to decide that. You will get to know when we reach the Castle."

I keep Coco on the ground since she is getting a little restless in my hands.

We tolerate the awkward silence for a minute but then I ask her, "So what is this Queen Alaena like? I mean I know her physical appearance from my dreams, but what's her personality like?"

The silver in Alyssa's eyes lights up. "Queen Alaena is calm, kind, and powerful. She loves her homeland and she will do anything to protect it. Even during the trial of Angelica, she did not lash out or attack her, which she easily could've done."

"Yeah, I saw that," I say to her.

"In one of your dreams?" She asks me and I nod in reply. "What else did you see?" She inquires further.

"A bunch of stuff. This Angelica and Queen Alaena scene, my dad having powers of water. Hey, do you think he may have come here?"

Alyssa sighs. "Did you ever ask your father? Did he seem suspicious about them?"

I lower my head and reply, "I never got the chance. I started having dreams literally this week and that is about seven years too late."

Alyssa squints her eyes in confusion but then suddenly says, "I am sorry. I understand you. I was quite close to my father but he died of an injury when I was five."

"What about your mother?" I ask her.

"My mother was killed by some fairies when I was barely months old. That is what my father told me when I asked him about her." She answers.

I feel like I am about to invade her privacy but I still ask, "Why was your mother killed by her own kind?"

Alyssa responds in a sombre voice, "My father was a human and my mother was a fairy. You see, humans are scared of fairies, and fairies despise humans for hating them because of their dark powers. It is forbidden for a human and fairy to marry but my parents did. They went into hiding but my mother was found anyways. After both of their deaths, my father's family took me in but once they saw the tiny wings on my back, I was left near a cave which was said to be a sanctuary for injured fairies."

"An old fairy called Nira saw me and helped me get settled in the cave. There, I saw fairies with broken wings, some with none, and I decided to be grateful for my powers and use them for my realm. I can still hear the old females shouting at each other, deciding whether to keep a half-fairy or not. Nira convinced the others to keep me. She always kept my hair open to cover my non-pointed ears, she gave me her old wand so that I could learn the powers of a true fairy."

"She asked her daughter to teach me to harness my powers. The daughter hated me but she did what her mother told her to do. Since she was ten years older than me, she already knew things that I didn't. She would hit me more, beat me if I wasn't able to defeat her but she taught me her best. I can fight because of her. It became my duty to serve the sanctuary."

"How did you come to serve this Queen?" I ask her.

"I was collecting berries once to provide for some medicine when some of the Wing Warriors saw me. There were around fifty of them and I was alone. Seeing a fairy flying openly was an unusual sight. I fought off half of them but they were just too many, they captured me and brought me back to the ground. There, I saw a grey-eyed woman along with a pegasus at her side. The Queen ordered the Warriors to release me and leave. One of the Warriors argued with her but she always took my side.

"When he said that I was a fairy, she opposed him with 'and I am an Air spirit, you are a Warrior and that is a tree. All of us can cause damage when we want to but none of us fight each other for no reason. If that was the case, no one would be here.' She praised my skills and asked me to be her personal guard. I thought about it and decided to take up on her offer."

"What about Nira?" I ask her curiously.

Alyssa smiles and replies, "Queen Alaena gave me tools to help expand the sanctuary. Nira died happily on her deathbed. Her daughter, however...Let us just say that there is a very rich fairy who also happens to run a sanctuary."

*

Hope you liked this part. What do you think about Alyssa's dark past? What do you feel about fairies in Manelysse? And do you think this Queen is as good as Alyssa says she is? Find out in the next part.

New chapter/ part released every Friday.

Vote. Comment. Follow.

Just three easy steps. (I won't mind if you only do one of them....or two...or..okay, you get it.)

Thank you so much for reading!