The mark of a dragon...

As Nymerial's fingers touched the war horn, bright light emerged. It looked like a flame but it didn't burn her. The light then grew bigger and started to move. It snaked all around Nymerial, wrapping her in a swirl of fire. A small flame then started to wrap itself around Nymerial's hand, beginning from the tip of her finger and stopping in the middle of her hand. She then felt the nice warmness leave her and soon the light disappeared.

She looked down at her right hand that was holding the horn. A black dragon was there, its tail wrapped around Nymerial's middle finger. The dragon's wings were spread out. The ranger was amazed by it, she finally knew, who she was. She even had something to prove it. She turned to the Fellowship and smiled weakly. Nymerial then fell to her knees and started to cry. Not from sadness, no, from happiness. Her friends, except Lady Galadriel, ran to her, thinking that she couldn't handle the situation or that she was hurt.

But as Aragorn pulled her up, he saw a smile on her face. Nymerial then lifted her hand with the horn and everybody saw the mark of a dragon. She turned to Galadriel and saw her smiling. She went to the Lady of Light and hugged her. She said to her ear

"Diola lle, Galadriel, diola lle. (Thank you, Galadriel, thank you.)"

The Lady hugged her back and whispered back

"Lle creoso, Nymerial, Mellonamin. (You are welcome, Nymerial, my friend.)"

They let go and Nymerial looked back. She saw that the Fellowship had left to their rooms where they would be staying. Galadriel placed a hand on Nymerial's shoulder and said

"You should go and rest. Today has been full of news for you. And for your friends."

Nymerial nodded and waved good-bye. She went to the stair and started to climb down to the platform where she and the Fellowship would be spending the night.

As she climbed down the stairs, she heard as the Elves started to sing. It was in memorial of Gandalf the Grey. She sat down and listened to them, her heart still weeping from the loss. But she then remembered something, she got hit in the arm in Moria. She lifted the sleeve of her shirt up and removed the bloody cloth around her arm carefully. As she took the last layer off, she saw that the wound was healed. 'It must have been the flame of the dragon.' she thought as she stood up.

Nymerial went past the Fellowship quietly and sneaked to the balcony near her bed. She looked at the horizon. The stars were shining brightly and the moon was lighting up the whole forest in a cold yet comforting light. The air around her was filled with the sounds of night. Nymerial sat on the edge of the balcony, her back facing the door behind her. She remembered the first time she met Gandalf.

She was twelve winters old and it was on a similar balcony. The wizard had sat next to her and he then had asked if could sing. The young Nymerial had answered that she could sing well enough for her own family. Gandalf had then asked her to sing to him something.

Nymerial jumped from her memories as the Elves had stopped singing. She looked up into the dark night sky, trying to stop thinking about everything new and old that she learned today.

She then started to sing the first song she had sung to Gandalf. Nymerial didn't know why that song always calmed her down but it always had.

(Play the tune if you want)

"As I have said before, you sing beautifully."

Nymerial turned around and saw Legolas standing at the doorway. She got down from the edge and stood up as Legolas went to her. When he got to Nymerial, he lifted up her hand, carefully as if scared to break her, and looked at the mark. His grey eyes then met with Nymerial's green minty eyes. He said to her in a whisper

"Yaaraer. (Ancient one.)"

She then looked puzzled and Legolas continued

"I have only heard stories about them. About you and your people. I never had imagined seeing the history repeat itself."

Nymerial looked away from him and wondered out loud

"My people...But what do I know about them? How should I be a leader of the Dragonkind when I know nothing about them. About me."

She then looked back at Legolas and said

"Sut? (How?)"

He answered

"Do not worry, you will make a great queen. The Dragonkind will be proud to follow you to battle. Never forget this: Lle naa belegoh tar. (You are a mighty warrior.)"

Nymerial smiled lightly and thanked him. Legolas then said to her

"Take some rest. We will have a long journey ahead of us."

Nymerial nodded in agreement and went inside. She passed the sleeping Hobbits and went to her bed. She still had the horn in her hands so she put it next to her pillow as she laid down. Soon, sleep overtook her and she fell into the world of dreams.