39.

[eighteen thirty-two]

Enjolras POV

May 1832. I was sent to my father's office.

"Son, we haven't talked since your speech on the balcony."
"I am aware."
"Why are you acting against me?"
"I give the public what it wants."
"And what is that?"

"New ideas. You never listen. You see a man that understands you perfectly, but it's not me, a man who matches the picture in your head. I used to look up to you. When I was barely 6 or 7, you were my role model and a war hero. I can still see you standing before me, a smile from you meant more than I can say.", I said.

"Yes, The world seems so simple through the eyes of a child. As a boy your son loves and treasures you. But that boy won't be a child forever. You can tell when he no longer listens to you... And suddenly a man stands before you. Who thinks he can change so much. Things that he doesn't understand!", he said.

"Because he's always ignored..."
"What do you know of the world?"
"... I know that this country is falling apart!"

"This conversation has now ended. You will not have any public appearance until you have come back to your normal self. It's probably that girl. Am I right?"
"Leave her out of this. This is all my doing. And you will see what the future holds in store for us.", I said, before leaving.

I walked back to my bedroom, ignoring all the servants and women at court. I felt like I was suffocating in this palace. I wish Annelise was here. A single day felt like an eternity. I looked out of the window and saw Annelise walking inside the palace, her father by her side.

***

Annelise POV

I was asked for a meeting with the Prime Minister. He scared me, he was crazy.

"Let her in."

I entered the room, my father wasn't allowed to come with me. The Prime minister was playing chess by himself. As I said, he was crazy. Not the chess playing though. That was smart.

"Sit."

I sat down.

"As you know, dear, life's expensive. It can make people so apprehensive. Life has a high cost of living - It's the nature of the beast."

"I agree, Sir, but, you see, Sir, giving in seldom lowers the fee, Sir. Life can be quite cold enough, don't you think, even in coats made of mink.", I said.

"Let's not quibble for a few francs more. Name your price, please."

"A price? I don't compromise and I never appease. What can we do accept..."

He interrupted me. He said I should take all my things and forget the rest. Then he talked about how I shouldn't put faith in a man that wasn't trustworthy and how he could no longer protect me. He was talking about Bastien.

"I am truthful."
"As am I, dear. But so much of the truth is a lie, dear. Once we believed that the whole world was flat, now we all laugh about that."

He was truthful? Well, then I was a wizard. I told him how I believed in love like the stars above. He just shook his head and laughed. I told him how I wasn't afraid of his threats, as they meant absolutely nothing to me.

He was once again laughing. If he wasn't a part of Bastiens court, I would've punched him in the face, no matter how un-ladylike it was. He was mocking me. I added that I wouldn't back down and I would suggest him to leave me alone. I was the one he loved and needed.

He told me to move on as, by the next year, there would be someone else. Was I supposed to tell him that this has been going on for three years now? He claimed it would be someone like me, who believed in love.

"Ashes to ashes, and so dust to dust."
"Yes, and I'll see you in Hell before I will crawl!", I said, standing up.

He better stopped messing with me.

"But your words, like you, are small!", I said, before storming out of his office. I rushed out of the palace and back into the carriage.

***

Enjolras POV

I woke up from my sleep. I dreamed of my childhood. How I would call for my mother and she would come to me because she was not here. I remember how I wanted to tell her how I was a strong boy. But if she was home, she would lock herself in her room and would never come out. If she went to travel, she would never take me with her.

My room was always so dark in the middle of the night. That frightened me as a young boy. I just wanted to be held in the arms of my mother. Nobody would hold me in their arms when I was crying.

My mother was beautiful. A German princess, long wavy hair, and the most beautiful face a man could've asked for. She taught me some german before she was gone.

How much I missed my mother.

A/N: would you all like some mini-enjolras as flashback scenes?