Chapter 23

• • • 

• • • 

Niklaus grew more frustrated as it had been one month of his search for Machae with no successful result. Even with the help of Rebekah and Elijah.

They visited more witches and tortured more, demanded answers but deep down they knew witches themselves did not have the answer.

Elijah and Rebekah could clearly see now how much this affected Niklaus. He didn't even once ask about the cure, which previously had been his obsession.

They dare even say he no longer cared about the cure at this point. Machae was all he cared about.

But now she was gone. Niklaus was at the tipping point.

They could no longer predicted how much longer he could hold on.

Katerina refused to help the three since she was afraid of what the hybrid might do to her and she didn't want to risk her freedom for Machae. But she heard the rumours about possibly her and did directed them to Atlanta.

When they arrived at the city, they were shocked that the first news they heard was a recent explosion at an abandoned site, followed by a brutal massacre of unrelated people. But they knew better, they were related, after all they were witches.

Not to mention, several homes citizens had been sucked dry and some bodies were found in the middle of the street with similar cause of death.

Some speculated this was the work of a new rising serial killer, since they had never encountered this killing pattern before , nevertheless it still didn't lessen the brutality.

Niklaus had seen the length of how madness she could take when he was tracking Kol. They knew this had to be Machae.

But that wasn't what made them very certain.

The police found bodies lying on the ground – heads with eyes gouged out – mutilated with their body parts scattered forming a sentence.

'C U Soon, C.A'

While dozens of others staked up high with the stick planted firmly on the ground, as if to showcase the work was worth for the world to see, an exact replica of the famous act of Vlad the Impaler.

The siblings were left speechless. Now, Niklaus was no longer sure of what Machae was becoming.

He knew this was a message from her to whoever C.A was, a very strong message indeed. And he knew this C.A had something to do with her disappearance.

She had escape. And Niklaus knew there was only one place she would go.

Her home.

• • • 

Machae had just arrived at the airport where she scanned the place for her check in place as well as scanned the crowd for Damon Salvatore.

Locket G9. Found it.