Chapter 9

We placed the hunter on his couch as I told Nik where his van was. I sat on the other available side of the couch as Nik riffled through the hunter's work. The messy papers on the table I looked at earlier.

"I thought you were in Chicago, leaving for good."

"I was half way through there, but I heard about Tyler's attack so I came back." He explained.

"And you save him because...?" I trailed confused.

"He's a hybrid, a dying breed. I can't make more of him, and I won't have anyone taking liberties with the ones I have left." He said.

"Why did you do it?" he asked his voice low and his back still facing me.

"Why did you do it?" I countered back. He turned to look at me. "You hid Damon's involvement from me. Why?"

"Because I couldn't risk you backing out." He said exasperatedly. I looked away knowing he was right. Now it was only Damon, next thing you know you were working with the rest. And I really didn't want to be working with the whole scooby gang.

"Now why did you do it?" he asked.

"Because I was mad at you." I glared.

"So, you go kiss him?" he asked incredulously.

"I do remember telling you to stop and you telling me you like challenges." I shrugged. "Shouldn't be a problem at all."

He suddenly chuckled as I stared at him confusedly. What's funny?

"You think one meaningless kiss is going to shut me down?" he asked rhetorically as he moved closer to me until he was hovering me trapping me in between him and the van wall. My breath hitched as my heartbeat raced.

"You're going to have to try a lot harder than that, love." He smirked.

" He smirked

• • •

Nik left a couple of minutes ago to the Boarding House after Stefan blew his phone off with his ever so-many voicemails. Hence, I was stuck babysitting the sleeping hunter.

Meanwhile, unknown to Machae, Elena was very much alive. Well...undead. Elena was lying in Stefan's bed, looking incredibly ill. Stefan was on his phone. No doubt leaving another voicemail to Niklaus.

"Come on Klaus, where the hell are you?" he muttered. Stefan hung up his phone and sat on the bed, next to Elena.

"Hey." He smiled. Elena smiles at him. She felt the werewolf venom running through her and shut her eyes. When she opened them she saw Damon where Stefan once was and looked confused.

"Why am I thinking about you?" she asked confusedly.

"Because you're a vampire now. And part of you knows you're a lot more like me than you are like him." he answered.

Niklaus finally arrived and entered the room. Stefan got up and walked towards him.

"You came." Stefan sighed in relief.