Chapter 27

• • • 

• • • 

2 days had passed since the big show Machae put on. Machae told Theo everything that night. 

"Kol and I...we met a hundred years ago in New Orleans. I was a mercenary killer at the time, my team and I saved him from a mad scientist. Only I was the sole survivor."

"Or so I thought." she sighed. "Neither of us knew William didn't die that night."

"We spent decades together avenging my teammates and himself, killing all parties involved in that dreadful night. He taught me everything I knew about vampire. He was patient with me and never once looked down even when I am a different kind of vampire than him or any normal ones."

"He was there listening to my stories, snapping me out of my nightmares...he was there through every guilt I felt all those years."

"The only one bothered to be my friend." My jaw clenched as I struggled to keep waves of sadness washing over me. "He was my...my best friend. My best friend." she started.

From her past life to her recent discretion about Colin. Including the core secret about her kingdom. The link. Invisible magical link from the witch's power source that linked all vampires in the kingdom to Machae and the papers, embedded in their system, as a guarantee they were included in every treaty.

Now he knew why Machae did what she did.

She was nervous about his reaction. This was the first time she couldn't read Theo. He had been quite throughout the whole explanation and only after she finished his reaction was not something Machae predicted.

She expected him to hate her and wanted nothing to do with her anymore. She tried to prepare herself to lose her 'little brother', no doubt failed.

Instead he was understanding. He was mad. But not because of the reason Machae suspected. He was angry at Machae for not involving him from the beginning about the whole deal with Colin.

She explained to him that all she wanted to do was to protect them, their inner circle and their kingdom and she wasn't really sure who she could trust. She assured Theo that she could handle Colin.

Which was why they already had a plan to get rid of the witch invader once and for all, without the others knowing.

They contemplated for the others to join them on the plan, but when they saw how close they had gotten, they decided it was best to leave it to the two of them for now.

They really couldn't have any errors in their plan or they would lose Dan, Nate and Thea for good.

Now that Colin was a newly turned vampire – even with the positive traits inherited from Machae's blood in his veins – with no advocate from his witch coven, he was much easier to kill. They only had to find a way to make it natural.