Chapter 24

• • • 

• • • 

The morning news on TV came strange to the 4 inner circle of the Edinburgh vampire kingdom. But it came terrifying to Colin Abernathy.

A plane identified coming from Atlanta with destination Edinburgh was crashed last night just outside the Edinburgh suburban forest with no survivors. Hardly even any evidence from the crash.

It was like the plane was burnt exploded from the inside. There was nothing but burnt shredded seats, hanging oxygen masks, dripping blood splattered and ashes everywhere. No dead body was found.

How did they know all the passengers was indeed dead?

Because they found a bag, hung by the door of the broken split plane. A bag full of human hearts. They ran DNA test on each and every last of them. It all belonged to all the passengers of the plane. Complete list.

What was even stranger was when they played back the black box. It was all bloody normal. No sound of distress or any talking about the crash from the pilots.

The vampires and werewolves of the city knew – even the human had some assumptions – this was the witches' doing. But Colin knew better.

This was her second message for him, even stronger than before. Alerting him of her presence.

She was coming.

• • • 

Truth was, Niklaus loved Machae. So much. It scared him. He had never love anyone as deeply as he felt for her. Not Tatia, not Aurora, no one.

He wouldn't admit it. Because if he did, it meant he was going against his number one rule that his enemies could use against him. That 'love is a vampire's greatest weakness and he, as a vampire, is not weak.'

From the first moment they met, he knew she was special. She intrigued him like no other. He felt instant and deep connection to her, his feelings grew more and more as they spent time together. He got extremely jealous when she was with other man, including his brother. He wished he found her first and for her to not get bad first impression about him since she was running with his brother from...him.

At first, it was just a mild curiosity to get to know her. As time went by, with them spending it together and the pull he felt towards her, he realized he was becoming too attached to her. Machae understood him, accepted him, while others couldn't. She was the only one who could tame him. She was intoxicating and Niklaus couldn't get enough of her.

Underneath the cold and heartless exterior he showed to others, he cared for her. Deeply. Or else he wouldn't spend a month of his time searching for her high and low, even putting his pride aside, asking for his siblings to help him. Ignoring his pursue of the cure, putting her safety over his need.

She was mad at him. Which was probably an understatement and a reasonable one too. Rather than making matter worse, he chose to leave her alone for the time being.