Chapter twelve

"Camille, I don't get it- what do you mean?", Magnus stuttered. A million thoughts rushed his head, all the things that happened between him and Camille throughout their common time at NYABM. Did she mean what he had done with her contraceptive pill? But that was so long ago and he thought she had gotten her revenge two years ago. His mind kept racing in circles like a merry go around until it finally hit him like a punch in the face- Asmodeus. He had told her all about it. Seeing he had realized where she was headed, Camille grinned. "Oh Magnus, you never learn from your mistakes, do you?" "What do you want.", he asked stone cold."What I have always wanted.", she replied with a smile on her thin lips. "A baby?", Magnus asked in complete confusion, "Camille, I don't get it-" "Because again, Magnus, you did not listen to me first. I haven't even named my conditions, I haven't even made a clear statement and there you go, assuming the wildest theories.", she hissed. "Okay, I'm sorry.", Magnus lowered his voice, trying to cover his nervousness. Camille was crazy, he had always known that. And he in fact was stupid for trusting her, for believing she had changed, for assuming she wanted the best for him and wouldn't jump at every opportunity she got to destroy everything Magnus had worked so hard for. He had so desperately hoped she was over him and both of them were going to be able to fully move on, but she clinched to the bit of connection and history they had and made it the center of her live. And it was so hard to move on from something that another person's life was constantly spiraling around. "You told me about Asmodeus offer, I hope you recall that?", Camille said and Magnus was forced to nod. "Well, did you tell Alec about it?", she asked and Magnus shook his head. "Well, how come you tell me more than you tell your boyfriend, Magnus? What does that mean?", she elaborated, making Magnus realize where she was going. "IT doesn't mean anything.", he truthfully replied. "Oh I think it does. Isn't a partner in a relationship the closest person you can ever possibly have? Isn't Alec supposed to be your soulmate? Isn't he the one he should be telling all your secrets to? Isn't he supposed to be the first one to get called when something of this great relevance happens?", she kept going, grinning upon the fact that Magnus had nothing to do apart from agreeing. "So, why was it me, then? Don't you trust him?", she asked, her questions like a drill though his heart. "Because you were nearby. And he was asleep. That was all, I trust Alec more than I have ever trusted a person in my entire life.", Magnus answered, knowing he had no shield protecting him from her questions. If there was one thing Camille had always been good at, it was asking the right questions to hit someone in their weakest spots. "Well, why didn't you tell him the next morning, then?", she continued. "Because he was stressed out. Alec has enough problems to deal with on his own, he doesn't need my drama on his back as well.", Magnus replied. "Okay, but that means he isn't there for you, is he? Maybe he want's to, but he just can't. Don't you want to be with someone who can actually be there for you, Magnus?", she whispered, taking his hand but he flinched. "He is doing the best he can and considering all that he's been through, it's a lot more than any of us could do given the same circumstances.", he kept defending Alec. "Come on, Magnus, you see it for yourself. His sister, Isabelle, that is who he truly loves. That it who he is always there for. That is the person he'd die for in a split second. Do you really believe someone can feel that was for two people at the same time?", she said. "Alec can.", Magnus replied, his voice steady as he was certain of his words, "For his heart is so big, there's space for everyone." "Look at me, Magnus.", Camille whispered, "The two of us are the only ones left in this place. Everyone else has left. There's no Ragnor, no Heidi. It's just two of us. If we aren't there for each other, if we don't work together, if we don't love each other, who is left? It has always been you and me, and it forever will be. And the sooner you accept that thought, he easier it will become.", she leant back. "Don't you dare saying you stayed only for me.", Magnus spat which upon she grinned:" I did, Magnus. Because I love you. And I promise, if we kiss just once, you will feel the same way." "I won't kiss you, Camille. We're over.", he said, "I have moved on. If you love me, don't you want me to be happy?" "I do want you to be happy.", she explained, "But I also know the happiest you can be is by my side. Just once, Magnus. If you just give it one serious shot you will realize that your entire relationship with Alec was one huge lie you made up to compensate for me, it was like a play, a distraction from your true love. A distraction from me. And if, after the kiss, you realize that the lips you truly desire aren't mine I promise to never bother you again." "Camille, I am not going to kiss you. I have put Alec through that once and it almost broke him and I sweat I am not going to do that again.", Magnus sighed and stood up, ready to leave the room. "Well, then you know what I will put Alec through by telling him about Asmodeus offer, don't you?", she grinned. "You wouldn't.", Magnus sighed. "Watch me.", Camille hissed, "And the beauty of it all is that you can't even call this blackmailing because you had days to tell him before I even approached you. I am a fair player, Magnus. You just tested my limits."