Chapter Six

The quad sat around a table in the hospital's cafeteria . They had chosen it so that when an emergency came up, they wouldn't be missing in action.

"... Besides, I don't want a query," Florence said, shaking her head. "I hate queries."

"Who doesn't?" Martha stated rhetorically before putting down her spoon and dabbing her mouth with a tissue. She was done eating.

"So," she began, "about what I wanted to talk to you guys about."

"Yes, Martha! That, and the good news that involves me," Lawrence interjected with playful enthusiasm."

"Hmm, what's up ?" The others replied, still engrossed in their meals

"Lawrence!" She called, making him almost drop his plate of food.

"Yes, what's up?" He asked, looking rather nervous.

"What are you doing this Christmas holiday?"

"Christmas."

"Yes, what are your plans for Christmas?"

"Christmas." Lawrence repeated sheepishly."

"Well, Lawrence, begin spilling," she was tapping her feet repeatedly on the floor now.

"There's actually nothing to spill, Martha. It'll just be the usual." Lawrence shrugged.

"The usual ?" Florence asked raising a brow.

" Yeah, I'll take a leave and stay home."

"Stay home and do what exactly?" Martha's frustration was growing evident now.

"Rest, read my bible, spend more time in fellowship with God, and watch more episodes of Catch crimes with Cody," He replied.

"Again?" They all chimed while Lawrence merely rolled his eyes.

"Yes."

"But, Lawrence, this is like the umpteenth time. This is becoming cyclical," Martha complained, clearly exasperated.

And indeed, it was becoming a repetitive cycle for Lawrence, spending long stretches of his holidays alone.

Florence couldn't believe her ears. She exclaimed, "No, no, he must be joking. This has to be one of his jokes!"

Lawrence, looking serious, muttered to himself, "I wish it was."

Florence turned to Paul, seeking his opinion. "Paul," she called, "can you hear him?"

Paul, with a bored expression, replied, "Like I am surprised."

Martha interjected, trying to diffuse the tension. "Fine, fine," she sighed wearily. "It's not too late. I invited Flora, and she's agreed to come. So, you can come too. And I would love it if you could come too."

There was a brief silence in the room. Martha, growing impatient, added, "Lord have mercy, you won't even ask where?"

Lawrence reluctantly responded, "Fine, fine. Where?"

"Thank you," Martha sighed with relief. "Ekiti."

Lawrence, now done with his meal, reclined in his chair, and Paul turned to face his wife.

"Yes, Mum and Dad agreed," Martha explained, noticing Paul's furrowed brows.

"Oh, great!" Paul exclaimed with enthusiasm, and Martha turned back to Lawrence.

"So, what do you say?"

Lawrence appeared to contemplate for a moment, while the TV's volume suddenly increased in the background.