Chapter Twenty Nine

The sweet lullaby of a newborn filled the room, a stark contrast to the earlier symphony of pain that had echoed from the laboring mother. She had finally succumbed to the exhaustion, and her once-loud cries had transformed into gentle exhales, fading into the background. Outside the labor room, a man in his late forties was jolted awake by the shrill cry of his newborn. At last, after 15 years, they were parents, finally sharing the title of parents.

A myriad of emotions danced across the man's face as he paced in front of the labor room door, the joy of fatherhood mingling with fear, nervousness, and a sense of disbelief. He couldn't wait for the medical personnel to emerge, holding his breath in anticipation of the first glimpse of his own flesh and blood.

*****

Impatience etched his actions as he tapped his feet on the floor, waiting for news about the baby. "It shouldn't be taking this long. They should be done with the cleaning by now."

Turning to his peacefully sleeping wife, he gently held her hand, caressing it with love as he silently thanked God. The excitement for her waking, and their shared joy at the beauty of their newborn, intensified.

The room grew increasingly monotonous, and a myriad of questions filled his heart and mind. "Why are they taking so long? Did something happen to the baby?" He swiftly dismissed such unsettling thoughts; now was the time for joy and anticipation.

A rustling sound behind him caught his attention, and he turned to witness his wife slowly regaining consciousness.

He watched as she stirred, gradually opening her eyes. Reacting like someone in a mad dash, he hastily grabbed a nearby chair and sat down.

It took a moment for her eyes to adjust, and when they finally did, she began to sit up.

"Careful, dear, careful," he said tenderly, helping her settle back down.

"Where is my baby?" was her first question after scanning the room.

"The doctor is cleaning her up," he reassured.

She relaxed with a sigh of relief.

"Do you want to eat anything? What should I get you? I know you must recuperate your strength after such long hours in the labor room," he rambled.

"No," she replied weakly, staring strangely at the ceiling, as if trying to decipher something. She then turned to face her husband, peering into his eager eyes. He was as eager as she was.

"I want to see my baby first," she finished.

"Okay, okay, the doctors are on it," he answered, nodding vigorously.

After a few moments, a nurse entered, pushing a cot, followed by the doctor. The doctor, now out of his scrubs and wearing a blank look, was accompanied by another nurse carrying the baby with utmost care.

"Mr. and Mrs. Daniels, congratulations. It's a girl," the doctor announced, a small smile appearing on his face, although it seemed more tired than joyous. The second nurse approached and placed the baby into the waiting arms of the mother.

The smile on Mrs. Daniels's face didn't last. They observed her plain expression as she looked from the baby to the doctor, who stood at the foot of the bed with hands behind him.

"Honey, what is it?" Mr. Daniels asked, noting the change in his wife's countenance.

She turned to him, looking like she had seen a ghost, and he was compelled to take the baby from her. Soon, his face mirrored the same disbelief as his wife's.

"Doctor," he looked up at the rather calm doctor. "What is this?"

"Your baby, sir," the doctor replied, a tinge of pain in his voice.

Scoffs followed as Mr. Daniels's eyes darted everywhere. He looked at the baby once more. "Doctor, is this a joke?"

"I wouldn't joke in this kind of situation, sir."

His wife's face remained blank, as if her spirit had left her body, and he felt her pain. He knew how much she had waited for this day.

"Doctor," the dazed woman called, seeming to have returned to life.

"Y-you mean...I..." She placed her weak hand on her chest. "You mean I carried this in my womb... all this while?"

"I'm sorry," was all he could say.

Tears started falling. "Doctor, y-you can't be serious," she swallowed. "We had a scan."

"We did."

"Then, what happened?"

And right there, he wished he could console them.

"Doctor, this isn't our baby," Mr. Daniels declared vehemently.

"It is."

"It. Is. not." Mr. Daniels barked, his eyes burning with anger.

"Sir, I promise you, this is no lie."

"Or," Mr. Daniels peered at them intently, "Did you exchange my baby for another?"

"I would do no such thing, sir. I'm so sorry about this, sir."

"No," Mrs. Daniels screamed. "Doctor no, this can't be my baby. God, no... I..."

Back to the present, Mrs. Daniels shook terribly as tears poured from her eyes. The weight of the past converged with the pain of the present, creating a poignant moment in the room.