Chapter Seven

Cody's ears perked up, and his whole body tensed with excitement. He jumped up, prancing around the house on all fours before rushing towards the door, barking and whimpering in anticipation. Soon, he was unlocking the door's latch with his paw, pushing his head out to catch a glimpse of Lawrence approaching. His joyful barks followed after him.

"Hey, big boy!" Lawrence was getting close to the door, and with a small smile on his face, he squatted down to give Cody a quick head rub before standing up.

"Step back, Cody," he said, reaching for the key in his workout shorts.

As Lawrence managed to open the door, Cody wrapped his front paws around Lawrence's waist and then released him, zooming around in excitement.

"I'm sorry I arrived home late," Lawrence began explaining as he secured the door. "I was hanging out with Paul and the others after work." Cody barked in response.

"You must be very hungry by now," Lawrence continued. "I thought you should eat first before getting your bath."

Cody headed into the bathroom, seemingly ignoring what Lawrence was saying.

Hours later, both were freshly bathed, settled, and relaxed. Cody was now asleep on his bed in the corner of the room. After a short prayer, Lawrence laid himself down to get some rest as well, his head nestled against his pillow.

As he lay there, his thoughts inevitably drifted back to the events of the day, especially the encounter in the cafeteria. The news had featured her serene face, a face he'd recognized instantly.

Secretly, he'd ensured that her image was etched into his memory, not knowing if fate would ever bring them together again under more favorable circumstances. He allowed himself a small, wistful smile as he reminisced about their meeting years ago, silently hoping for another chance encounter.

Soon, he caught himself, a little surprised by his own thoughts. "Lawrence, what on earth are you doing?" he mumbled, snapping himself out of his daydream.

He quickly reached for his Bible, the source of wisdom and solace, and flipped through its pages."Lord, help me," he sighed, finding his place in the holy scriptures. With that, he settled back on his bed, ready to immerse himself in the word seeking guidance and understanding.