Chapter Forty One

Was it the early morning stillness that filled the hotel with echoes, or was it her heightened awareness? The quiet enveloped everything, along with the crisp air drifting in through the window and the distant chirping of crickets. She halted her thoughts, refusing to delve into the memories.

Having barely slept the previous night, she questioned how she could have found solace in sleep. Her insides burned, not with anger, but with a feeling she identified as fear. Attempting to push these thoughts aside, she reminded herself of forgiveness from both herself and God. However, facing Kore's reaction had unsettled her. She had envisioned the relationship unfolding differently, allowing time for a connection before revealing her true identity. Yet, the nagging feeling persisted.

Overwhelmed by these thoughts, she took a deep breath, releasing it into the quiet air. In a moment of vulnerability, she whispered, "Oh Lord, if I had known, I wouldn't have done it. I feel so guilty. I wish I could turn back time, but now everything's messed up. How do I tell her? How do I explain my wickedness?"

Interrupting her soliloquy, a voice spoke, "You seem to forget I'm here too." She refrained from facing him, tears streaming down her cheeks.

"I'm sorry," her voice cracked. "Have you been awake for long?"

"Only ten minutes."

"I'm sorry," she sniffled again.

Silence lingered as he remained in bed, deep in thought. "You couldn't control yourself yesterday, could you?"

"I didn't mean to," she defended. "I was overwhelmed, imagining how she'd react. I panicked. I'm sorry."

Mr. Daniels, still in contemplation, broke the silence, "Have you thought about why she reacted that way? Did you notice how shocked she was when her eyes met yours?"

Mrs. Daniels, lost in her thoughts, suddenly considered, "Like we've met before!"

"Exactly! Now, one question, how did she know?"

**KORE:**

"They remind me of my former life-the things I want to forget and push to the back of my mind. But who do I blame? Dreams are meant to come true, aren't they?"

******

**MARTHA:**

Breakfast was eerily quiet, as if yesterday's energy lingered at the table against their father's wishes. Martha couldn't grasp what had happened the previous day. Why did Kore react that way in front of their visitors? Larry eventually addressed the unspoken tension.

"Is it just me, or did something happen last night? My parents left in an odd manner, and I've been trying to call them with no response."

"Relax, Larry," someone reassured. "They might be tired."

"I don't think so," Larry insisted. "From the energy I'm getting, something happened."

No one spoke up.

"Okay, I'll find out by myself." Larry shrugged and continued eating.

*******

"Well, somebody definitely looks like a lady today," he remarked, slumping on the sofa opposite her.

"What do you mean? I always look like a lady."

"Prove it."

"I look like one and sound like one. Simple."

"Yeah, sure, sure."

"Yeah, yeah, sure. What does that mean?"

"No offense, but... you don't necessarily act like one."

Her disbelief was evident. "I can't believe you of all people would say that to me, David. You?"

"Okay, I definitely agree. You are a lady." David said with an eye roll.

"What?"

"What? You were going to get dramatic on me right there."

"I wasn't."

"And I agree."

"Is that a way of saying you don't want to go further in this argument?"

"Exactly!"

"Okay," she exhaled. "Okay."

As she stared into space, Dave made himself comfortable on the sofa.

"I'm sorry; I came in without announcing my arrival."

Jojo, still with folded arms, wondered about his apology. "I... I just needed some company and thought of you."

She turned to face him, and he apologized again. "But I could also use some company. To be honest, I don't like too much alone time."

"So, we're even then?"

"Yeah, we are."

A comfortable silence settled between them.

"So... you have a tumor." he finally asked.