Chapter Twenty Four

She closed the door noiselessly, yearning for warmth from her sweater. Shivers embraced her, tears flowing uncontrollably, gripped by consuming fear.

The pervasive glow from the wall lights bathed the entire house in radiance momentarily, enhancing its overall allure. Yet, the urgency to be on the move compelled her.

The expanse before her revealed a meticulously mown lawn, now imbued with a darker shade of green under the cloak of darkness. Towering coconut trees cast scattered shadows across the terrain. Glancing backward, the mansion and bungalows receded into the distance, their lights the only discernible presence.

This seldom-visited place, often forgotten and remembered only during the occasional need for mowing, held a special significance.

Their father, in response to their request during the house's reconstruction, had constructed this space - their dance room.

She could recall her mother's indifferent demeanor, her quiet hiss, and her departure, and her father's shimmering eyes as they shared with him their heart felt desires one of them being their need for a dance house.

".....I'd love to see my princesses dance for me one day," he expressed.

"But, Dad, you always see us dance," Kore remarked.

"I know, but not for me."

"Okay Daddy, we will create a time to dance specifically for you, is that okay ?"

"Hmm, I'd love that."

And he had built it. Despite its lack of extravagance,even as she pushed the sliding door open, revealing a less-than-fancy interior, the love they held for it was undeniable.

As she settled herself on the wooden floor, she pushed her bag aside and flicked the switch, bringing the room to life.

The night embraced a calm silence, occasionally interrupted by the soothing sounds of crickets.

Admist collected breaths, her mind wandered back to the unsettling dream that had recently gripped her.

In a sudden flash, an air of somber intensity surrounded her. Silence hung thick, with only muted sobs breaking it, as she stood at a distance from a small crowd dressed in mourning attire gathered by a freshly dug grave. The inaudible words of a pastor heightened the gravity of the moment.

"What's happening? Who died?" A furrow creased her brow as she observed from a distance. The cries intensified, leaving her bewildered and scared. In a flash, she found herself amidst the grieving gathering.

"What!" she exclaimed upon meeting her solemn family. Sullen faces adorned them, and her mother, leaning on Dad for support, seemed almost lifeless, tears streaming down her swollen face. Confused, she scanned other faces until her eyes rested on Kore, whose tear-stained eyes never seemed to dry.

"G-wh- what's going on?" she stammered, her voice echoing, but no one acknowledged her.

"Hello!" she called out, waving her hands reluctantly, but it was as if she were invisible. The tears grew louder, compelling her to turn away. She directed her gaze towards the casket, the center of attention.

The casket was open, revealing her dressed in white. "What! No, no, listen, I'm not dead... I'm right here," she pleaded, attempting to convince them, but the shrill cries interrupted her.

"Jesus! Lord Jesus! You can't let her leave! No! Jojo, you can't leave! You can't leave me here." She turned toward the familiar voice of Kore, now held firmly by family  members as she screamed her lungs out.

"No, I'm here," she said, drawing close and placing a hand on her shoulder. "I'm going nowhere." Despite her assurances, she witnessed them closing the casket.

"No, no, I'm not dead. I'm right here!" She screamed as it slowly shut. As the casket slammed, she continued her desperate pleas, but they wouldn't listen. Soon, she began to fade into thin air as the casket door closed simultaneously.

"No! You can't do this. No!" Her screams faded, and with a slow creaking sound, there was a final BANG! And that was how she had woken up.