Chapter Thirty Eight

Is this house ever quiet?" he muttered, to which Paul and others promptly chorused, "No."

"Why?" David inquired again.

"I mean, who ever wants a quiet house anyway?" Jojo interjected with a smirk.

"Is that a continuation of the conversations you've been having in your head for the past 45 minutes?" David teased, poking his head between Jessie and her brother to face Jojo.

"Shut up," Jojo retorted with an eye roll.

"Is that a question?"

"Are you trying to annoy me?"

"Are you guys going to start this again?" Kore interjected, attempting to redirect the conversation.

"Yes. I thought you guys were like best friends now?" Jessie added.

"We were never fighting," David replied with a bored tone.

"True, but he's just plain annoying."

"Change of topic, please!" Jessie cut in.

"Hmm, please! That was so boring. Can we do something?" Flora suggested, breaking the monotony.

"Yes, like, David, welcome to the family," Lawrence exclaimed, clapping his hands.

"Hmm?" came the confused response from most of them.

"Oh true," Larry joined the discussion after being engrossed in his phone.

"Oh, so you were listening the whole time?"

"Yes, Martha ma'am, I was."

"So, tell us, what's the latest news?" Paul inquired.

"Uh... that David here," Larry gestured, "has decided to join the Jesus family. Tada!" he finished with a bored tone.

"Really?" Paul asked in an elated tone.

David nodded with a simple smile on his face, while Flora groaned inwardly, and Larry and Jessie shared the same confusion. Larry didn't waste time airing his opinion, "I honestly don't get why you guys are so happy."

"Don't worry Larry, When you also have an encounter with Him, you wouldn't help but want to share the same joy," David explained, making Larry roll his eyes.

Soon, someone approached, bringing their chapter to a stop. She was a tall, dark girl in her teens.

"Sister Martha," she called after gathering their attention.

"Yes?" Martha replied, a smile still plastered on her face.

"Dad says to see you."

"Okay."

And with that, she excused herself.

"Ehm, Larry?" She called as she drew closer.

Larry looked up from the group, causing the flow of their discussion to be disrupted. "Yeah?"

"Dad says I should ask if your parents are still coming?"

"Yes, yes. They said they are on their way."

"Okay, alright," she disappeared again, probably to give Mr. Williams feedback.

"Your parents were not kidding about them coming to see Kore," Jojo commented.

"No, they weren't."

They resumed their chatter in the house, but this time, it was less noisy. The freedom was there, but it was moderate, as they all tried to be on their best behavior in the presence of the patriarch of the house-David, Lawrence, Jessie, Florence, and Larry inclusive. They were seated around the dining table with Mr. Williams, getting to know each one of them more.