Chapter Forty

The meeting concluded, and Mr. Williams and his wife accompanied the departing couple to see them off. Jessie, with the innocence of a lamb, skipped along with them, seemingly oblivious to the recent turmoil. Despite the apparent resolution of the meeting, confusion lingered in the air.

Mr. Daniels, overwhelmed and bewildered, maintained a somber silence. They had successfully pacified Mrs. Daniels, whose panic attack had caught everyone off guard.

Flashback:

"I am so, so sorry." Sincerely apologetic, Mr. Daniels looked lost as he tried to console his wife. Embarrassment was etched on his face. "She usually has panic attacks," he explained.

"Oh," Mr. Williams could only mutter.

Onlookers remained silent, still astonished by the unexpected turn of events. Dinner had barely begun.

Unfazed, Mr. Williams focused on Mrs. Daniels, stopping himself from choosing a specific word to describe her current state. Was it 'petrified'? Shaking off the thought, he instructed someone to get her a glass of water. Martha swiftly responded, dashing into the kitchen and returning moments later with the water. Mr. Daniels carefully handed the water to his shivering wife, and gradually, the calming effects became apparent. Breathing returned to normal, and collective sighs of relief filled the room. They proceeded to stroll out to the car, engaging in casual conversation as if nothing had transpired.

"I am so sorry," Mr. Daniels apologized once more as they reached the car. Mrs. Daniels, now composed, clung tightly to her husband.

"Oh, it's okay," Mr. Williams exhaled, "it's alright. Please go home so she can have some rest." He hesitated, uncertain whether to schedule another meeting soon.

"Take care, okay?" Mrs. Daniels interjected. Confused but not showing it, she expressed gratitude. "Thank you so much for today. You have been great hosts."

"It was our pleasure." Mr. Williams grabbed his wife's hand, giving it a reassuring squeeze. "Thank you for coming."

Mr. Daniels nodded and entered the car after his wife.

"There should be another meeting, don't you think?" Mrs. Daniels suggested.

"Oh, there will be," he nodded. "There will be."

He sighed for the umpteenth time, staring at the neatly packed pieces of letters on the floor. The day he discovered them, he had been petrified. If anyone had claimed she did it, he would have vehemently denied it. Now, uncertainty clouded his thoughts. Heartbroken, he recalled his wife's tears when they read the letters. "What had they begotten as a daughter?" he wondered.

His wife, emotionally drained, was already fast asleep. It was time for him to rest as well before the day unfolded. They had a long journey ahead, but for now, peace and rest were paramount.