Chapter Twenty Seven

"Finally decided to grace me with your call," his Dad's sarcastic tone echoed through the phone.

"I'm fine, Dad. Thank you for asking. How are you?" David replied with a touch of nonchalance.

His father's response dripped with disdain. "How's that any of your business?"

David took a deep breath, attempting to keep his composure. "Dad, why-" He halted, sighing heavily.

"Why what?"

"Nothing, Dad. I'm sorry for ignoring your calls."

"Sorry? Sorry for intentionally doing what you did?" Mr. Adewale's words were laced with anger.

David closed his eyes tightly.

"When are you coming?" his father spat venomously.

"Not anytime soon Dad" David replied simply.

"Where on earth are you, then?"

"At a friend's."

"What the hell are you doing there?"

"Enjoying the holidays, Dad."

"Enjoying the holidays," he mimicked coldly. "Enjoying the holidays doing what? Drugs, sleeping around with prostitutes? Is that how you're enjoying it?"

"Dad!" David exclaimed, drawing the attention of onlookers. He shot them a glare that said, "mind your business," and they averted their gazes.

"You bastard son of a wild dog. You are ignoring me again, aren't you?"

"God of mercy!" he exclaimed. "Dad, isn't it enough? You've tagged me a drug addict, a womanizer-all that I'm not. Isn't that enough?"

"What?" Mr. Adewale snarled. "I am right, aren't I?"

David shook his head. "Goodbye, Dad." He whispered and  ended the call, before turning off his phone.

***

He strolled around the house, kicking imaginary dust. A familiar voice interrupted his thoughts.

"Hey, teaser," Jojo's voice rang out from above him, promoting him to look up.

A scoff escaped his lips as he proceeded to give a reply. " What, are you Jungle girl now?" His hands now found his way to his pocket

She shrugged. "Hmm."

"Aren't you afraid you might fall from there?"

"I'm not scared of heights. Besides, the tree's as sturdy as an elephant's leg."

"Really? Elephant's legs?"

"Those things are sturdy, yo."

"Yeah, right." He scoffed again and nodded as if in agreement with her theatrics.

"When I was little,  she began after a while. "I had this..." she demonstrated with her hands, "...gigantic teddy bear. When I was sad, I would grab it and hug the life out of it."

"So?" he raised a brow.

"I could give her to you. You sure could use some hugging." She grinned, eyes bulging with childish mirth.

"You still have it?" he pointed at her.

She nodded vigorously.

David laughed. "You know you're annoying, right?"

She nodded again. "You never fail to remind me."

He sighed. "Get down here. I could use some of your positive energy."

"You could have all of it," she shrugged.

"Just get down here, please," he groaned.

***

Meanwhile, Kore sat on the bed, legs crossed, head against the wall, sighing repeatedly.

"Dad," she finally called, looking up. "I need to talk to you, please."

After a brief pause, she continued, "It's about Jojo, my sister. She's losing hope fast, and I don't think she believes her prayers are being answered anymore.

"Mum and Dad don't even know the tumor is back; nobody knows. What happens if they find out? Lord, you've done it once. Please do it again. Please touch her with your healing hands. I don't want to lose her, please."