Chapter Forty Five

KORE

The cold seemed to traverse my body as I descended the stairs, but I shook it off. The hunger pangs that plagued me in bed were stronger than I could fend off with sleep, prompting my late-night journey to the kitchen at 10 pm.

No sooner had I descended the last flight of stairs than I saw them.

"Akorede, you're up?" Her Mum asked.

"Yes, Mum and Dad ?"

"Ah, yes, I was suddenly hungry and had to wake your Mum up to prepare something delicious for me."

"Oh," was all I could say.

"How about you? What's keeping you up and awake by this time?"

"Come closer now," Mrs. Williams beckoned. "We're not going to bite you."

"I was just hungry, that's all," I explained as I drew closer.

"Oh, you're right on time then. You can just dish the last bowl of Tapioca in the pot and join us."

I gave a nod and walked to the kitchen.

"Thank you Mum and Dad," I said in a whisper after I had drowned the contents in the bowl.

"You're welcome," Mrs. Williams said, while her husband gave a nod as they watched me pack the plates and cart them away to the kitchen.

I returned a few moments later from washing the plates and found them in the same position.

"You're not leaving for bed yet?"

"Nope, we'll let our food digest first before we go back up," Mr. Williams replied.

"Okay, I'll be going to bed now. Good night Mum and Dad."

I was walking past them towards the staircase when....

"Akorede, don't you think there are somethings we need to know?"

******************

"We're waiting."

I raised my head and let my eyes connect with both of them before returning my gaze to the hands on my knees.

"Mum, Dad, can't we just talk about it some other time?" I looked up at them. "I don't feel really comfortable talking about it."

"Akorede, we wish we could. You know we would never push you to talk about this when you're not comfortable."

"Then why's tonight different?"

"Because, we need to know," Mrs. Williams answered. People don't just come all the way from Lagos to Ekiti for nothing. They want something, and whenever we try to ask, they start giving excuses that don't make sense. Then, there's the strange behavior you portray anytime you see them.... Korede, you are raising questions that need to be asked and answered."

"So," Mr. Williams began, lowering his gaze to meet mine. "I'm going to ask you the following questions once, and I don't want you to waste time in giving me answers to them, understood?"

I remained silent.

"Akorede!"

I didn't like this part of my Dad. I would call him harsh at the moment even though he wasn't on a normal day, but the tone of his voice was enough to make me shiver on my seat, so I answered.

"Yes, Dad."

Mr. Williams further relaxed into the dining chair.

"So, Akorede, who are those people? Do you know them? If so, who are they to you? I need answers immediately, Kore, don't waste time."

"I don't know them, and they're nothing to me...."

"In essence, Kore, you know them, and they meant something to you, if not now, in the past. Korede, am I right or not."

"Yes, you're right Mum, but then, I have never met them in my life. Well, not until two days ago.

There was silence. And then the couple exchanged glances.

"I'm confused, Korede, what are you saying?" Mrs. Williams started.

"I'm saying, Mum and Dad, that I have never met them in real life until days ago when they first came and yesterday. I've only met them in my dreams."

Another round of silence followed.

"We are still confused, Korede, what are you saying?"

"I'm saying, Mum and Dad, that when next they come, and I hope I won't be around, ask them for a child they once maltreated and threw away....."