Chapter Sixteen

David's POV

After a bout of crying, I'd dozed off. There was no need for anyone to point out that my face was swollen. The short nap was much-needed, leaving me feeling refreshed. I resumed my blank gaze at the ceiling, my mind void of thoughts, my chest heavy with the weight of unanswered questions about my mother and the man I called father.

"Okay, Dave, enough of this," I muttered and dragged myself to my feet.

Glancing at the clock, it read six thirty. "Wow!" I'd actually slept for nearly 3 hours!

Moments later, I'd taken a shower and was on my way out for a stroll. I slammed my room door shut and was about to reach for the front door when my phone chimed.

I stared at the screen for a while.

There was no name, just a number. My first instinct told me to ignore it, but something made me answer it.

"Hey, hey," a lively, feminine voice sang through the phone.

I lifted the phone to my ear and observed the caller's number for a moment before responding.

"Guess who it is!" the cheerful voice sang again. "Oh! Wait, you'll never know."

"Well, if you're not that crazy drama queen at the office, I don't know who else it would be, Jojo," I quipped.

"The one and only," Jojo said in the same sing-song voice.

"Of course, so, what is it you want?" I inquired.

"I'm that annoying, aren't I?" She playfully pouted.

"Yes, very!" I replied with emphasis. "Who gave you my number?"

"Kore, obviously!" And I could feel her exaggerated eye roll from miles away.

"What?" I groaned again, settling on the arm of one of my sofas.

"Hey, stop that. Do you hate me that much?"

I shook my head and sighed. "Jojo, hate is a strong word, I don't hate you."

"Ooh ooh, lemme guess, you're having a bad day."

"Probably," I mumbled.

"Bored?"

"Not that much. Now what do you want, Jojo? You have to cut to the chase because I'm sure you're not calling me for the sake of it."

"Right! Cut to the chase, I will. So, it's December, right?"

"Yes, why?"

"You've got any plans?"

"Still considering my plans for this Christmas, but looks like it's going to be like every other day."

"Great! Okay, we're celebrating Christmas at our family house. And I was wondering if you'd like to come, do you?"

I was silent. "Wow! A family get-together, and I'm invited? Does that mean I get to reject Dad's invitation?"

"Yes," I heard myself say.

"Yes! Wait, what? You'll come?"

"Yes," I said again. I was at risk of getting on Dad's bad side, but I didn't care. Anything to get away from his toxic energy.

"I haven't told you the place yet."

"Where?"

"Ekiti state."

"Really," I asked myself, more than her.

"Yes."

"Kay, no problem. When do you leave?"

In another house:

"Yes, yes,... Sure... I'll be there... we'll be there," a fair-complexioned guy said into the phone as he descended the stairs.

"Yes, see you there. Bye."

"Jessie! Jessie!" He called, and the call ended.