Chapter Twenty Two

A smile lingered on his face as he took a stroll down memory lane. After a few moments of silence between them, he decide to initiate a conversation.

"So, you okay?"

"Fine, yeah. What makes you ask?"

"You passed out?" He inquired.

"Oh, that," Kore responded. Lawrence nodded slowly.

"Yes, but I'm fine now. Thanks for asking."

"Welcome," he muttered.

"You're supposed to be downstairs with the others. Heard you were all hanging out."

"Ah, yes, I was. I just came to use the bathroom and check on Cody. I see he still recognizes you."

"Great, that's his name. Cody," she repeated, a small smile playing on her lips.

"It's nice to meet you again, Cody," she said, and the dog, hearing his name, found his way in front of her, nudging her for some petting. She gladly obliged, chuckling as Cody barked.

"I can't believe I actually called you something else. Hope you don't mind, though," she chuckled again while Cody barked.

"I should mind."

Kore looked up at him. "Yeah, you should, but you don't have to worry. The name's not that bad." She grinned.

"Let me be the judge of that," he said good-naturedly.

Kore sighed. "Well, I guess I'm going to get busted."

"Again, I'd love it if you permit me to be the judge of that."

Kore sighed again, bowed her head, and raised it again to face him. His brow was up as if to say, "I'm listening."

"Dogson," she finally said.

"What?"

"Yeah, there, I said it. Dogson."

Lawrence breathed a short laugh.

"Oh really?"

"Yeah, I... I'm sorry."

Lawrence kept a stoic face, his expression revealing no emotion.

"You look scared, though. But you're not so good with names, I guess."

"I know."

"I stopped buying collars for him a long time ago; he keeps pulling them off. But don't worry; it's okay." His face held warmth now.

"Great, thanks."

"No worries."

"He really is friendly, though. I like that."

"You hear that, Cody? Keep being friendly, and you're in for a lot of treats from me."

Cody barked in response.

"So, you're coming?"

"Huh?"

"Downstairs? 'Cause we're dying to meet Akorede Williams Esquire. Hope you don't mind me using your full name."

"No, it's okay, thanks."

"So?"

"I'd like to sit this one out. Thanks for the invite, though."

"Okay, there are other days."

"Yeah, the day's almost over."

"Okay then, take care. See you tomorrow."

"You too."

Meanwhile, the others were engrossed in their discussion, and even Florence forgot about her.

"So yes, that's just my candid opinion on it," Paul said and ended.

"Speaking of opinions, we are missing..." She paused, scanning the two empty chairs. "Jojo, I thought Kore was coming?"

"Well," she wanted to say.

"And of course, Lawrence," Florence added, eyeing the empty seat beside her.

"Hmm, she probably changed her mind," Jojo said.

"Hmm, she's probably asleep."

"Aww, such a shame," Jessie said. "Anyways, tomorrow's another day."

"Speaking of that," they heard a familiar voice and then the scraping of the chair against the ground.

"Oh, there you are," Paul said to Lawrence.

"Your bathroom break took quite long."

"Yeah, I didn't find Cody in the room and needed to go look for him. Anyways, back to what I wanted to say. You never told me she was your sister-in-law."

"True," Larry chimed in. "How could you hide such a thing from me?"

"What? It's not my fault."

"Yes, who knew my sister would become popular so fast?" Martha said, supporting her husband.

"Don't be too offended, dear Larry," Paul added again.

"Thanks, Jojo," Paul added.

"You're so welcome, uncle." Jojo said, touching her chest and making a funny face.

"Ugh, drama queen."

"Get used to it, Mr. I am a drama queen," David said as he leaned toward Jojo, who stuck her tongue out playfully.

They continued their discussion with animated characters and laughter filling the room.