Chapter Eighteen

Lawrence's POV

We finally arrived at our destination, a journey of about 9 hours. To say that it wasn't what I was expecting would be an understatement. Instead of the archaic, rustic structures that typically represented family homes in villages, what greeted us was a magnificent mansion.

The smooth, beige exterior was adorned with subtle streaks of white, accentuating the elegance of the black roofed, multi-story building. The strategically placed wall lights cast a warm, welcoming glow against the backdrop of the night sky, turning the mansion into a mesmerizing sight.

Exquisite bungalows, not too far from the central mansion, stretched out from the shadowed area where people leisurely relaxed to the far end of the spacious parking lot for cars. It was a grand sight to behold.

As I stepped out of the car, I couldn't help but notice the cheerful commotion. The house was buzzing with life, children running around, and family members engaged in various forms of joyous activities.

All these captivating details washed over me as I took in the sight. This was no ordinary house; it was a breathtaking family estate.

"Here we are, guys, welcome to our humble abode," Martha said as she slammed the car door shut, waiting for Florence, who followed behind in her own car, following Paul's lead. She soon joined us with an excited sparkle in her eyes.

"Wow!" Lawrence exclaimed in both surprise and awe. It wasn't just the house's modernized structure that left him stunned but the sheer number of people here who were all part of this extended family.

"Nice," was all Flora said.

"I know, right," Paul beamed as he turned to face the magnificent mansion with pride.

"Nice! Did you just say 'nice,' Paul? This is... Magnificent! I wasn't expecting this!" Lawrence said, his eyes wide in amazement.

Paul smiled and nodded. "Yeah, this was my exact reaction when Martha brought me here for the first time to meet her family."

"Wow! This is impressive," he added, still trying to take it all in.

"It's a family house, Lawrence, and you're welcome," Martha, who had been observing Lawrence's reactions, said with a smile on her face.

"Thank you."

Meanwhile, Florence shook her head mentally, feeling a sense of pity for Lawrence. Who could blame him? He had never truly known what it felt like to have a family.

"Guys, come on,  let's  go in, I'm tired already," she whined and began to lead the way as everyone else followed behind her.

And our luggage ? Florence said, not moving.

"Later!" Martha shouted back.

They began walking toward the main building, with Cody following by Lawrence's side. They had barely reached the main building when some other children noticed them. Calling the attention of each other, they suddenly began running towards them, each cheering excitedly, drawing the attention of the few adults who cared to pay attention.

Lawrence and Florence watched as Martha's and Paul's faces lit up when they began receiving the children into their arms. Even the family members outside began to whisper excitedly.

Most of the family members who topped the grounds whispered amongst each other at the sight of them, some with excitement and some with indifference, although expecting them to come and pay some homage to them as the elders once done with the children.

The teens amongst them were not left out as they approached gingerly. The excited expressions on their faces showed their fondness for Martha and Paul.

"Aunty, Uncle, welcome!" The children chanted.