Chapter Seventeen

In a swirl of uncertainty, I found myself at the hospital today. Flora and Paul had already embarked on their vacation, leaving me alone in the office as always. Pushing the door open, I entered the chilly office, casting my eyes upon the vacant tables of Paul and Flora. A sigh escaped me; I would miss them, but soon, the looming workload would consume my thoughts.

Walking towards the sink to wash my hands, I settled down after the routine. Peering at the blank face of the office clock, which read 7:00, I braced myself for what promised to be a long day. Turning back to my empty table, I shut my eyes, murmuring a prayer. Prepared to observe my surroundings until work officially commenced, my attention was suddenly drawn to a forgotten brown envelope on my desk.

*****

"Come in," resonated the baritone voice of the M.D.

Slowly opening the door, I entered. The Medical Director, a dark, fairly bulky man in his 60s, sat relaxed in his swivel chair, spinning it gently side by side. A smile crossed his face as he awaited my revelation.

The chilly air in the room greeted me as I shut the door gently. Now, let me describe the office space meant for a Medical Director: it exuded an air of professionalism with mahogany furniture, medical certificates adorning the walls, and a large polished desk. The M.D.'s personality was stern and authoritative, evident as he stood to face me.

"Good morning, sir," I greeted, keeping a respectful distance.

"Morning, gentleman. How may I help you?" The M.D. appeared surprisingly gentle today.

"Sir," I began, "I apologize for the unexpected visit. I received this letter granting me leave, but I don't recall applying for one. I was directed to report to you since the letter came from your office."

The M.D. reclined in his chair, a smile playing on his face as he looked up at me.

"Mr. Arinze, it wasn't a mistake."

"But sir, I didn't apply for one."

"Well, it's the holidays, and I thought you should take some time off."

Lawrence remained confused.

"But..." he tried to say.

"But nothing." Lawrence fell into silence.

The M.D allowed the silence to linger for a while before he continued. "I was conducting a review of all employee records when I noticed you haven't applied for any leave at all. Is there a reason, if I may ask?"

For a while, Lawrence stood there, seemingly at a loss for words.

"Take a break," the elderly man said point-blank.

"Sir, I..."

"It's an order, Mr. Arinze," the M.D. said firmly. "I do not want to see you in this hospital throughout this month. Understood?" He now peered at Lawrence intently.

"I didn't do anything wrong, sir, did I?" Lawrence asked, holding the man's gaze softly.

The M.D. reclined in his chair and returned the gaze.

"I see I must have conveyed the message wrongly. Mr. Arinze, take some time off work. Until the appointed date for your resumption, I don't want to see you on the hospital premises. Is that clear now?"

There was a moment of hesitation before he finally replied, "Yes, sir." Lawrence sighed, resigning to fate. "I will take my leave now, sir. Thank you very much, sir."

"Great, have a lovely holiday," he said in a cheerful voice.

"You too, sir," Lawrence responded as he turned on his heels.