Chapter Thirty Five

Jojo was still unconscious when the van drove into the compound. The children's excited screams died down immediately everyone alighted the van with Larry carrying Jojo's unconcious body. By now, everyone's attention was drawn. Each eyes followed them into the main house.

Flashback

They had carried her into the van and driven out of the parking in lot and out of the peering eyes of the onlookers and on to the road.

"What just happened ?" Larry asked, his voice trembling.

"That's not what matters now, what matters is we find the nearest hospital...."David was saying when Kore cut him short.

"No hospitals!"

Everyone turned to her starting at her like she just grew two heads.

"This is a life and death situation here," Flora began."What do you mean by no hospitals ?"

"She wouldn't want to go-to any one." Uncle Paul please drive home."

"What!" All chorused in shock.

"When this happens, I usually pray, okay ?"

"Wait, are you saying, this is not the first time ?" Martha screeched.

Kore didn't answer. Instead she burst into a song.

At first, she was the only one but soon the others joined in.

After hours of singing, Jojo began to stir.

"She's going to be okay. " Kore declared .

"How do you know that ?" Flora questioned.

"She stirred, didn't she ?" Larry countered. And silence reigned.

"So, you want to tell us what happened back there ?"Martha asked.

"The tumour came back sis." She declared after a while.

Again, everyone was shocked.

"Tumour ?" David asked.

"What!" Martha exclaimed in what sounded almost like a whisper.

Kore couldn't look Martha in the eye but she nodded.

"And what did you do about it ?"

"She didn't want to go see any doctor ?"

"What ? And you didn't tell anyone ? Not even Mum and Dad ?"

"She didn't want anyone to know! Kore screamed almost at the brink of tears. What was I supposed to do ?"

"Tell! You were supposed to tell!" Martha screamed back. You know, just because you're not blood sisters doesn't mean you should be selfish! She almost died out there.... Martha stopped herself realizing what she had just let out. Oh my God, Kore I'm so sorry. All at once, she felt like the ground should open and swallow her.

"You know. Just because you are not blood sisters doesn't mean you should be selfish! She almost died out there..."
These words echoed in her head and sent her insides wrenching in pieces. Her body shook as she struggled to hold back the tears that threathened to fall.

Meanwhile, the environment felt akward for the others as the whole family drama had unfolded in front of them.

And now as they were home. Immediately the door was opened. Kore stepped out of the van and ran into the house. Her room was her only refuge now. Martha followed calling after her.

She stopped abruptly on seeing her parents In the sitting room for the first time since the holidays started.

"Dear, what is it ?" Mrs. Williams stood up immediately she saw Kore's face.